STEEPING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Baker

Reaction score
This subject seems to be absent from all the BIAB articles (for which many thanks) and I can't find any reference to it in the forums. Yet in the Pale Ale recipe there is an item Crystal 40. Presumably the method described includes this item in the mash despite the fact (I'm told) that in a 60-minute mash such specialty grains will start to give off tannins. Is this true? And should we be steeping (30 minutes) for those grains in addition to mashing the full 60 for the rest?

(I'm told) that in a 60-minute mash such specialty grains will start to give off tannins. Is this true?
With BAIB, proper adjustments for mash water and sparge water, tannins are rarely extracted. Same is true for DME/LME & steeping (in this case, How to Brew chapter 1 offers a process for avoiding extracting tannins when steeping).

And should we be steeping (30 minutes) for those grains in addition to mashing the full 60 for the rest?
Put the crystal 40 in the mash (what @TheCache and @wsmith1625 mentioned earlier).

Note: there is a somewhat popular variation on mashing that comes from Brewing Better Beer and Modern Homebrew Recipes (Strong) - where the approach is to mash just want needs to be mashed and "mash cap" the crystal / roasted malts. With this approach, water adjustments for mashing are simplified to using a couple of salts and measuring spoons.

For all-grain, you'll typically be adding all your grain for the full mash. Steeping grains is more of an extract-brewing thing.

Latest posts

Back