boiling the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
while I read about all grain, I figured out the chemical effect of a mash (conversion of starch to sugars), but I just don't get the chemical effect of boiling the wort for one hour or more....

what is actually going on in there while boiling, and why is it important for fermentation?

is it only because of hops flavours and bitterness, or something more?

while I read about all grain, I figured out the chemical effect of a mash (conversion of starch to sugars), but I just don't get the chemical effect of boiling the wort for one hour or more....

what is actually going on in there while boiling, and why is it important for fermentation?

is it only because of hops flavours and bitterness, or something more?

There are several things going on. First, the volatiles that give bad flavor (like precursors to DMS) are being boiled away. The "hot break" causes proteins to coagulate and drop out. The hops oils isomerize, and usually are added at 90 or 60 minutes so that they can give up all of their bitterness into the wort.

Latest posts

Back