beginner resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishkochito

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never made kombucha, but recently received a scoby from a friend. It has been in the refrigerator for about two weeks. I have a couple of questions/requests:

1) is the scoby likely to still be good after two weeks in tupperware in the 'fridge?
2) can someone point me to some good resources for getting started?

Thank you!

Scoby should still be good as long as it hasn't dried out.

For 1 gallon batches:

Steep 6-10 bags of tea for 3-5 min in just-boiling water
Remove tea bags and discard
Stir in 1.25-1.75 cups of ORDINARY TABLE SUGAR to dissolve
Let cool to room temp
Add sweet tea to large glass vessel
Stir in 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar for acidification
Gently add scoby to liquid
Cover/seal jar with paper towel or coffee filter affixed with rubber band

Store at room temp for 7-30+ days.

I like mine at 10 days (~72deg f). The longer it ferments the more vinegay tartness will develop.

Taste, refrigerate and drink.

Alternatively, add REAL fruit juice and bottle for 24 hours to carb before opening.

I enjoy tart cherry or pomegranate juice.

I am also a big BIG porponent of using OOLONG TEA. Specifically Yamamotoyama brand.

Superdown has pretty much covered all the points. Very great tips you have given there. Many beginners to kombucha like to start off using black tea or green tea, have you thought about which tea you are going to use first? Like superdown said you can add 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar, but I have read somewhere before that you can add shop bought kombucha to your first batch, but if you got a scoby from a friend maybe you can add some of their kombucha to yours to get you started. You definitely don't want to leave it for too long it tastes horrible, but we all have our own preference to how we want it to taste. I would recommend tasting it after 4-5 days just to see what you think. Then start testing it every day or every other day until you have it to your perfect taste.

The Scoby worked out fine. I followed Superdown's advice and it is very good. Getting a new batch started on Scoby #1 again, and going to get another vessel so I can use the one I grew. Now, can anyone point me toward resources for secondary fermentations over fruit?

Actually, I see that Superdown somewhat answered this ("Alternatively, add REAL fruit juice and bottle for 24 hours to carb before opening."), but I had a few more specific questions. Is it safe to bottle with fruit; at what point do bottle bombs become a concern? Is fermentation just not active enough with kombucha culture to explode bottles, even with all that fructose? Do you take gravity readings or anything to make sure fermentation isn't too active prior to bottling?

Thanks!!!

Is it safe to bottle with fruit?

Dried fruit is safer than fresh, as it is less likely to infect/introduce mold. Sterilize with vodka if you'd like. Fruit juice or puree that has been pateurized or Campden-ized is best. Look for juice with ZERO other ingredients/preservatives etc.

At what point do bottle bombs become a concern?

No idea, man. I don't bottle with a capper for my booch. I use swing-top sparkling water bottles and mason/jam jars. Both lids will pop/leak before your glass explodes.

Is fermentation just not active enough with kombucha culture to explode bottles, even with all that fructose?

I'm sure it depends on your colony makeup (bacteria vs yeast), but I get vigorous champagne carbonation from mine and I'm sure it could destroy some glass if I wanted it to.

Do you take gravity readings or anything to make sure fermentation isn't too active prior to bottling?

Kombucha doesn't take to technicalities very well because it's essentially 'wild' and the behavior and fermentation curves vary from colony to colony. Your fermentation will also depend upon how much sugar you've added and the caffeine content of your tea. In contrast to beer, kombucha is a welcome break from rigor and I prefer to treat it as a wild phenomenon as opposed to a closely controlled science experiment.

Regarding bottling: It's best to bottle right before drinking (24-72 hours) as the gas pressure is unpredictable. When I brew beer, I treat bottling like a fermentation and storage step. When I brew kombucha, bottling is just a way to flavor and consume it. I wouldn't store in airtight bottles, for safety's sake.

*all of this is from personal experience, YMMV

Thanks Superdown, I think I will adopt your view on kombucha vs beer - less rigorous, more casual approach. I was envisioning capping bottles, so I really appreciate the advice and will use mason jars instead. Good info.

I've had good luck with secondary fermentations with 100% fruit juice. I've heard people complain that using actual fruit just results in big pieces of slimy fruit in the bottle. Not harmful, just texturally and visually unappealing.

The only solids I've tried in the bottle have been ginger root cut into matchsticks. That's probably my favorite flavoring technique I've tried so far.

Thanks Superdown, I think I will adopt your view on kombucha vs beer - less rigorous, more casual approach. I was envisioning capping bottles, so I really appreciate the advice and will use mason jars instead. Good info.

One way you could use capped bottles is by cold-crashing the yeast prior to (or at the time of) bottling. Refrigeration will render the yeast inactive...but you have to keep the bottles refrigerated. So, if you have the space in your fridge, go for it!

If you do use mason jars, you'll find the acidity of kombucha will slowly cause oxidization of the metal lids. Clean often and dispose of them if you get a visible residue.

I would recommend using swing-top limoncello bottles:
2484.jpg

Ok, noob question. If I use swing-top bottles, you don't have to worry about bottle bombs? The whole not pasturizing the finished bottles has me a bit concerned.

brewing beer always talk about sanitation.. i haven't read a bit about sanitation and kombucha.. what gives?

I have a few batches under my belt, and I was having trouble finding good literature. Many books are more about the pseudo-science/lore of Kombucha and less on technique. I just finished reading this book and it really helped me understand the science and history of Kombucha. There are lots of trouble shooting stuff and lots of recipes.

http://store.kombuchakamp.com/the-big-book-of-kombucha-paperback.html

I cap bottles to make it easy to transport. I even use some twist off beer bottles, which I know are usually weaker glass. No accidents so far (fingers crossed). But Mason jars are much easier and you can just pour a glass when you want. I think there is less waste in a large jar than in a beer bottle.

Back