Still alive - just tackling a HUGE DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the last 5% that's always the hardest to finish, but sooooo worth it. Keep at it. Can't wait to see some 100% finished shots!

Just be honest.

It's never going to be "finished." And that's OK. "Finished" in this context basically means the same thing to a homeowner as the concept of "infinity" means to a mathematician. You're never quite going to get DONE; by the time one area is finished, there's going to be something else you want/need to fix elsewhere. When we moved ~3 years ago, I was stoked because I thought I'd finally be in a house where ALL THE WORK'S ALREADY BEEN DONE! I thought I might even have time to make beer again! **** that! It's a neverending process. ****, my folks built their house in 1987, and I don't think the last trim went up until maybe five years ago!

Ok, so some new pics...

Materials have arrived for flooring most of the downstairs: a bunch of 24x24 tiles, and 5 1/4" maple floorboards, and a bunch of mortar

Materials.JPG

Tile.JPG

Board.JPG

DryFit1.JPG

DryFit2.JPG

DryFit3.JPG

Wow that's looking really good. Sorry we missed you while we were up North - our schedule turned out to be fairly tight this year.

Is the curve going to be butting up against the maple flooring, or some other design element? Curves in tile are a pain in the ass.

Ugh. This tile just does NOT want to get done.

HalfTile.JPG

I calculated the thinset coverage at the most conservative side, but discovered that the dimpled decoupling membrane was gobbling up a ton of extra material. It cut my coverage over 20%! So I came up two bags short and had to order more (of course no one local stocks what I was using!) Now I have to wait for delivery. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

As a side note - those things you see in the corners of the tiles are the leveling system I used, and they are SO slick. Wish I had known about them when I tiled the boys bathroom.

Ugh. This tile just does NOT want to get done.

HalfTile.JPG

I calculated the thinset coverage at the most conservative side, but discovered that the dimpled decoupling membrane was gobbling up a ton of extra material. It cut my coverage over 20%! So I came up two bags short and had to order more (of course no one local stocks what I was using!) Now I have to wait for delivery. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

As a side note - those things you see in the corners of the tiles are the leveling system I used, and they are SO slick. Wish I had known about them when I tiled the boys bathroom.

Dude, you gotta tell me what those are called! The worst part about the last tile job was getting them all leveled up. I want to redo our other bathroom this winter and I am not looking forward to messing with that again.

Raimondi is the company I went with. There are several similar competing products, including one carried by the Depot, but I wasn't convinced of the quality on those others.

So some progress at last. First, I finished the initial tile install.

TileDone.JPG

Then it gets ugly - usually when I tile, I'm pretty meticulous about keeping the grout lines clean as I go, but the combination of large tile (making it challenging to reach across) and being pressed for time during the install made me less than diligent. The punishment for that lapse was two solid days of grinding mortar out of the grout lines. Here it is, grinding complete at last, ready for grout:

GroutCleanup.JPG

And grouted

GroutDone1.JPG

GroutDone2.JPG

Finally have a functional stove again!!!! So tired of takeout and restaurants.

GroutStove.JPG

Now I just have a few expansion joints to fill with sanded color matched caulk and it's a done floor.

Just found this thread, How did I miss the start of all this awesomeness? I'm really groovin' on the dome, the tiling, the bathroom & that awesome stove! I really like that deep blue paint too! I'm waiting for the staircase pics. Man you're really doing an awesome job Jester! Wish I had the skills (and money) to build my own house!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Quick update. Got the pantry shelving fabricated. I wanted to install it and fine tune the fit before applying the finish. Of course, now it's getting cold enough that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to set up a spray booth in the garage.

PantryShelves.JPG

It's hard to see, but there are scads of holes drilled in the verticals for shelving pins. Also, the panel behind will be painted to match, with some small trim to cover the edge.

Quick update. Got the pantry shelving fabricated. I wanted to install it and fine tune the fit before applying the finish. Of course, now it's getting cold enough that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to set up a spray booth in the garage.

PantryShelves.JPG

It's hard to see, but there are scads of holes drilled in the verticals for shelving pins. Also, the panel behind will be painted to match, with some small trim to cover the edge.

This is one the the squarest things I've seen in your builds so far! LOL. To work with so many curves is quite the feat!

This is one the the squarest things I've seen in your builds so far! LOL. To work with so many curves is quite the feat!

Hey, in my defense, there are a lot of little curves in this one! :D

Raw panel:
Vert1.JPG

Template dropped on, line scribed:
Vert2.JPG

Rough material removal with jigsaw:
Vert4.JPG

Template screwed down:
Vert5.JPG

Flush following bit:
Vert6.JPG

Routed curves:
Vert7.JPG

Table saw rips out between the ends:
Vert8.JPG

Finished panel:
Vert9.JPG

See? Curves!

Oh yeah, and the ends of the top and bottom shelves, as well as the wall mounting plates all are curved as well :D

"Hey, you know what would be awesome? Make a house with a whole bunch of curves everywhere!"

Said Jester, right before his future self appeared from a rip in the fabric of time and slapped him.

This thread makes me glad I chose to have some one other than me build our house...

I am very impressed with your skills and patience. Continuing to look forward to the updates.
Cheers!

Not much new since the kitchen tile and shelving project - mostly getting ready for winter. I had been worrying about how I was going to get the finish applied to my cabinets after I build them since it's going to be too cold to set up a spray booth in the garage soon, but stumbled onto a place that has a commercial spray booth set up, that I can use pretty much whenever I want! Suddenly I'm excited to start building cabinets again!

Starting this part tomorrow - I figured I'd tackle the hardest part first and get it out of the way. Here is a render of pretty much what it'll look like when done (I've made some changes) and the skeleton structure to get there - 73 pieces!

Island2.png

Island Final.png

It'll take a while, but I'll post progress pics.

I had planned on spending a full 9 hours working on this project today, but unfortunately life intervened and I was only able to spend about 4. Still got a decent start, though.

Cabinet base:
Base.JPG

Base with the first cabinet:
BaseCenter.JPG

Popped the base into place on the tile to see how level the floor is - I was pretty excited to find that I won't need to shim at all!

BaseInPlace.JPG

Back