I may have jumped the gun, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I saw Yakima Valley Hops' rhizomes became available to buy a few weeks ago, so I ordered some. I kinda just went for it with out any research, and now I realize I may have ordred them a bit early. Should I just keep them in the fridge for now? What do I do with these things for now?

Didn't they give you any instructions with your order? I'd contact them to see what they suggest. I don't know what your weather is like but here in Ohio I've been moving crowns at this time of the year for close to 20 years now. Once they're moved, they will continue to root until the soil temp gets too cool for root growth (freezing). They're the ones to ask though.

Find a convenient spot and plug 'em into the ground.

Move them to where you want them, in Spring.

TeeJo

I did the same thing, ordered the rhizomes from YMH but don't have a spot ready for them. What did you end up doing?

I emailed them, and they said to go ahead and plant them or keep them in the freezer. They said that they were dormant right, so they'd be okay.

Thanks joewalla.

I don't think freezing would be that bad. They are left in the ground below freezing all winter right? Just seal them well to make sure they don't dry out. I have mine in the fridge now. I'm just going to try and get them in some soil this week I guess. I don't have the permanent location ready yet - still a lot of hot compost in the beds I intend to use - so I think I will put them in some planters for the winter.

He said freezer, but he may have meant fridge. I hope freezing is okay, because right after I planted mine, the temperature dropped to the 20s and high teens, and dumped a bunch of snow. It's cold here now.

I would think a plant that has had a chance to root then go dormant would do OK getting frozen. Not so sure about an un-rooted rhizome, though I am not a horticulturist.

He said freezer, but he may have meant fridge. I hope freezing is okay, because right after I planted mine, the temperature dropped to the 20s and high teens, and dumped a bunch of snow. It's cold here now.

Freezing is fine. The main thing is protecting against freeze-thaw. Just a couple inches of soil over them should protect them for the winter.

Back