Belgian Dark Strong Ale Rhymes Like Dimes - BSDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP530 or WLP 500
Yeast Starter
~1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
29SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3wks, pitch at mid 60s and let it free rise
Tasting Notes
fig, currant, toffee, with a hint of licorice spice and a big malt backbone
I was shooting for something in the range of Trois Pistole from Unibroue when I made this. It was definitely the first Belgian beer I made that I was satisfied with in terms of how characteristic it was for the style.

It's pretty tasty about 2 weeks after bottling, no off flavors or alcohol harshness but it definitely gets to its best after a few months. I always find myself wishing I did give out so many bottles early on.
===============================================
9.0lb / 58% Pilsner
1.0lb / 13% Torrified Wheat
1.0lb / 6% Dark Munich
0.5lb / 3% Caramunich
0.5lb / 3% Special B
0.25lb / 2% Midnight Wheat
0.25lb / 2% Carapils
1.0lb / 6% D180 Candi Syrup @ 15min
1.0lb / 6% Invert Sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup) ***@ 2-3 days***

@60min: 1.0 oz Styrian Golding
@20min: 1.0 oz Styrian Golding / 1.0 oz Saaz
@5min: 0.5 oz crushed coriander / 0.5 oz orange peel / 0.5 oz licorice root
@0min: 1.0 oz Saaz

Mash at 148 for 60min
Optional: 10min mashout at 168F

75min boil

===============================================
The invert sugar I used was Lyles Golden syrup - love the stuff. You could use another lb of Candi syrup if you wanted but just keep in mind its less fermentable than invert syrup so you might want to add like a 1/4lb sugar with it. I like to add one of the syrups a few days into fermentation to keep more of the aromatics and rouse the yeast.
The carapils is just there because the first time I made it, the head retention wasn't up to par with most Belgians. You can easily leave it out.

I've also tried a slightly stronger version (maybe a quad?) with a pound of blackened raisins added. I took about 1 cup from the boil and put it in a pan with the raisins. Once they had some char on them, I deglazed it with more from the kettle then dumped it all in. It really accentuated the dark stone fruit flavors.

Back