Losing Hop Aroma Between Fermentor and Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I know I'd lose some of the hop aroma from CO2 scrubbing/cold-crashing, but the difference is uncanny...even when I dry-hop in the keg after I've dry-hopped in the fermentor...weak aroma.

Let me back up.

My latest IPA had 2 ounces Simcoe added with 20 minutes left in the boil (approx 52 IBUs per Beersmith) and then I whirlpooled 5 ounces galaxy in a mesh bag for 90 minutes (BK lid on) after cooling to 140ºF. I then cooled to 67ºF and fermented at that temp. On day 3, fermentation had slowed but krausen was still prevelant, I dry-hopped 5 more ounces of Galaxy into the fermentor. When I checked gravities at the end of fermentation the aroma was GORGEOUS. Big citrus and stone fruits! I then kegged with 5 MORE OUNCES of galaxy and carbed at 30psi for a week before putting it into my kegerator. A week later, when it was fully carbed, I poured the first few glasses and the aroma was barely noticeable! Flavor is still very solid, but aroma is lacking. Any suggestions on what happened? I know my water profile is spot on (I treat Ozarka water with Gypsum, CaCl2, and Epsom to get a pH of approx 5.4 at RT and adequate Chloride/Sulfate ratio -both around 150ppm - usually around 1.0-1.1. I confirm all of this with EZ Water Calculator and Bru'N water)

Do you think there would be any benefit of dry-hopping in the keg for a week WITHOUT putting any CO2 on the beer? Am I scrubbing those oils out with the carbonation? Is there any danger with that? Any recommendations to salvage hop aroma is gladly welcomed! TIA!

I think you are misunderstanding what is meant by co2 scrubbing. People usually talk about the co2 produced during fermentation carrying away the aromatics. Hence why we dry hop after fermentation is complete (or almost complete).

Carbonating in a keg with co2 is not scrubbing the aromatics because the co2 isn't escaping anywhere to carry them away... not until you pour a glass and then the co2 should release the aromatics straight into your nostrils :)

As to why your aroma is lacking... are you purging your keg with co2 before transfering and purging the headspace after??

O2 will oxidize your aromatics in short order...

Are you using fresh hops? If they are old and oxidized you've already lost the battle before you even brewed ;)

As to why your aroma is lacking... are you purging your keg with co2 before transfering and purging the headspace after??

O2 will oxidize your aromatics in short order...

Are you using fresh hops? If they are old and oxidized you've already lost the battle before you even brewed ;)

Maybe I can do a better job of purging the keg of Oxygen prior to racking but I think I do a decent job. Do you know the specifics on oxidation and losing hop aroma?

If you can't figure the issue in your process, you can always compensate by adding more

If you can't figure the issue in your process, you can always compensate by adding more

He is adding PLENTY... 10oz of potent hops split between whirlpool and dryhop.

Think the problem lies elsewhere.

The beer I just did with 5oz whirlpool, 5oz dryhop of half Nelson and half Galaxy was exploding with aroma... more than 99% of commercial ipas even. Blew my friends away

Caveat... I havn't even been brewing long, I just followed all the advice of the fine people here for IPAs and the difference was huge. No shortcuts pays off!

Thanks guys and gals!

He is adding PLENTY... 10oz of potent hops split between whirlpool and dryhop.

Think the problem lies elsewhere.

The beer I just did with 5oz whirlpool, 5oz dryhop of half Nelson and half Galaxy was exploding with aroma... more than 99% of commercial ipas even. Blew my friends away

Actually reread and he is doing 5oz whirlpool, 10oz Dryhop!

My bet is if it tastes good and smells gorgeous going into the keg but not after carbonation then the culprit is o2...

Reminds me of the huge ipas that I bottled. They would have intense fruit flavors like wow! Distinct tangerine or mango! Then I would bottle and wonder what happened to all that aroma and flavor... then enter kegging and purging/pushing with co2 and my life changed.

IPAs retained all thier magic.

Actually reread and he is doing 5oz whirlpool, 10oz Dryhop!

My bet is if it tastes good and smells gorgeous going into the keg but not after carbonation then the culprit is o2...

Reminds me of the huge ipas that I bottled. They would have intense fruit flavors like wow! Distinct tangerine or mango! Then I would bottle and wonder what happened to all that aroma and flavor... then enter kegging and purging/pushing with co2 and my life changed.

IPAs retained all thier magic.

What does your O2 purging regimen look like?

This is what has been working for me:

1. Dryhop in primary in carboy for ~ a week. I never do gravity checks or anything to minimize any o2 introduction. Never any issues with a 3 wk primary and good yeast pitching practices.

2. To purge, fill recieving keg completely with star san then use co2 to completely push out star san.

3. Push beer via CO2 using orange carboy hood method (google). I purge the o2 out of the line going to the keg from the carboy also because you'll get lots of splashing in the line sometimes.

4. Once keg is full, I purge headspace 5 times at 30 psi just in case.

Is all this really needed?? I don't know but I'm getting absolutely ridiculous aroma. I made a beer with citra and was pouring a glass and a girl came walking into my kitchen and said "Whoa are you cutting up oranges or something in here? It smells amazing." She couldn't see I was pouring a beer.

I've never kegged any other way so I can't speak to other methods!

Heady Topper has unbelievably low dissolved o2 levels for good reason supposedly...

I've been preaching this a lot lately... I never had to worry about water chem though because I have good ipa water here.

But sounds like you know what you are doing there and you say your beer was amazing up until you kegged it so thats why I bring up oxidation.

Take a look at your serving temperature. Prior to cold crash and keg the beer in the fermenter is @ room temp or there about. The aroma will be much stronger at that temp than say 38*f.
Try turning the serving temp up on your kegerator to around 45* and see if that changes anything

Back