no yeast activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
I brewed up a wheat ale 2 days ago. Checked it this morning and there was no yeast activity. I cracked open my fermenter and there wasn't anything. The surface of brew was just like it was when I brewed it 2 days ago. No foam, no krasen, nothing.

I am wondering if the yeast is not any good. I had bought my brew ingrediates last Friday and I didn't get home until almost 6 hours later. So the yeast sat in my truck for that entire time.

think i need to repitch the yeast. I need to know before tomorrow so that I can have some new yeast before the holiday.

Tampa in the summer? You could probably roast your barley in a truck. Yes, re-pitch.

It was late in the evening, 5pm to 11pm plus overcast and rainy that day. So the trunk interior didn't get to hot.

Also, something else. I was at my LBS yesterday and a guy came in to buy a vial of hefe-weizen yeast, saying his wasn't active. Then I went today, and bought a vial, the guy working there said he had to repitch his yeast also for a wheat beer. Wondering if there was a bad batch.

First time I got American Hefe-weizen and this time I got regular hefe-weizen yeast.

Have to keep an eye on it.

Back