JAOM with Buckwheat honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
So,

I found a source of Buckwheat honey on ebay for 50 lbs/ $100. Sounds good. however, I was wondering if it would be at all good for a light(er) brew such as JAOM or a raspberry mead.

I have heard of the strong flavors and aromatics of the buckwheat honey, which is why I was thinking it might not be good for the above brews.

Any thoughts?

Also, I love dark heavy beers. Would this be better for a dark braggot? If so, how much braggot could I make with 50 LBs of honey?

I used 1.25# of buckwheat honey in a 5gal batch of rosemary ale. I thought it was delicious, but some people found the buckwheat honey too overwhelming even at only 20% of the fermentables. If you have 50# of the stuff... o_O I guess it's a good thing it won't go bad?

Don't see why not ! The only reason I wouldn't use it, is because its like rocking horse turds here...... Plus the bucket I have is lighter Polish buckwheat honey.

Don't see why not ! The only reason I wouldn't use it, is because its like rocking horse turds here...... Plus the bucket I have is lighter Polish buckwheat honey.

:D FB...... You have such a way with making things sound good lol.

I know this is a bit odd. I have never tasted bw honey. What's it taste like if its 'so different' from clover? I have yet to try different honeys

I know this is a bit odd. I have never tasted bw honey. What's it taste like if its 'so different' from clover? I have yet to try different honeys
Well, in the case of.the Polish buckwheat I have, its less sweet but also has distinct "malty" tones to the taste as well.......

US buckwheat, I don't know.

Well, in the case of.the Polish buckwheat I have, its less sweet but also has distinct "malty" tones to the taste as well.......

US buckwheat, I don't know.

thank you FB you never seem to let me down. I assume that it might be similar in US buckwheat honey. maybe I'll have to got the LHBS and buy an ounce or two and try it.

I used a buckwheat honey in a cyser I made, while I can't speak to what it would taste
Like in a more conventional mead ( first time mead maker, let's just say I experimented) it taste before ferment was closer to molasses with a hint of burnt caramel. Very little actual sweetness but a flavor of sweet if that makes any sense, I think fat bloke said " malty " and I wouldnt disagree at all. I want to use it again when I actually learn to make good stuff so I know what its ferment flavor is. Probly one that you would need an extra point or two in final gravity if you wanted residual " sweetness" but would probably end up with just residual syrupyness if that's even a word. I say go for it tho, I'm a huge fan of doi g things outside the box and IMHO buckwheat fits that profile.

Back