Racked Brown Ale onto Toasted Coconut...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLocal

Reaction score
I extract brewed a recipe from Jamil for a brown ale with a little extra caramel for sweetness (which I prefer). It is a fairly aggressive hop schedule with 4 additions. I also plan on dry hopping with 1 to 2 ounces of cone hops.
The question comes with respect to the bitterness and the addition of the toasted coconut. I made a mistake on the hopping schedule and added my second addition 15 minutes into the boil instead of 45 minutes into the boil. So, getting a more bitter beer. It is also going to be a fairly large beer...started at 1.70 and finished at 1.12.

I've already racked onto the coconut (from fresh coconut, shelled, shaved and toasted at home). Any opinions on the final flavor? I'm mostly concerned about the bitterness in relation to the coconut flavor. Is it going to be complimentary or ?? Lastly, any opinions on a further dry hopping? Do it or leave it alone?

Thanks!

Coconut complements the caramel sweet malt flavor. I don't know that a high level of bitterness is going to fit, although I suppose an IPA can have a balance between bitter and sweet. Nothing to do but try it and report back.

I wouldn't dry hop if it were me.

I am thinking the same. I've tasted it, obviously before it's carbed, and it's pretty bitter but definitely has a good sweet backbone to it. Carbonation changes everything though. I'm expecting an increase in both bitterness AND coconut flavor with the carb.
Damn, would have been perfect if I didn't screw up the second hop addition.

Don't give up hope, with a little age it might be just right. We're always our own worst critic. Post back with your results.

Good point. Cocount is pretty oily. I don't think it will take much more than a week. Plus, I probably can't wait much more than a week! :)

The last time I got drunk and brewed I messed up my hop additions big time. Came out great. I don't get that drunk while brewing anymore though, lol.

BIG beer. Started as a fairly high gravity Brown Ale. The coconut added a bit more sugar and I let it condition a little longer. I've only had a few pints; strong, a little roasty, lots of caramel flavor and a little bit of coconut undertone. I guess more or less what I expected. I've had the Kona Toasted Coconut Porter and it doesn't have a big coconut flavor either. This one's got high alcohol, but I didn't get an accurate OG (read 1.70, but my calculator predicted less then 1.60) so I don't really know where it sits now. It's definitely not a session beer :cross:. I have one about once a week and it's definitely mellowing out. It's in a keg and fully carbed. Any way to get some into a bottle for long term storage without ruining it?

Back