My beer has an unpleasant after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

generalstores

Reaction score
My last two brews were Brewer's Best kits. One was the American Amber flavor the second was Their Red Ale flavor. After 6 weeks in the bottle, the American Amber had a very nasty after taste. I took a bottle into my local brew supply vendor and his opinion was I had an infection in the batch and was asked what I used to sanitize my equipment. I told him I used bleach and he suggested I use Idaphor and maybe the bleach was creating the after taste. So, My next batch was the Red Ale flavor, and I sanitized my equipment with Idaphor. After 6 weeks in the bottle I have the same after taste, maybe not as strong as my previous batch. I think I am tasting the hops, as the taste is similar to the smell of the hops when I added them. Do you think I've done something wrong or maybe a kit that uses hops is not for me. My very first batch I made was using a product form Edme, I brewed their Red Ale and was so impressed with the taste I wanted more. All this kit contained was the malt extract in the can and a bag of DME light extract. Give me your 2 cents worth.

All modern beers, or what we think of beer, is brewed with hops. Your Red Ale kit likely had pre-hopped extract.

A description of the aftertaste would go a long way. Would you call it astringent like witch hazel? salty? Did it taste like a horse blanket smells?

Hard to tell if the taste is just immature beer without knowing the gravities and IBU's of the recipe. The bigger the beer, the more time they need to mellow.

Here's a good way to know if it's just your dislike for hops that is the problem. Go out and buy a commercial beer that is heavily hopped and see if that taste is similar to what you're experiencing. Get an India Pale Ale from a store that sells specialty beers. That will help you figure it out. If so, you'll aquire a taste for them eventually. A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good "gateway" beer into liking hops.

Back