WLP500 No Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discokid2k

Reaction score
So I hesitated posting this but I am getting worried. I made a 1l starter for a belgian ale of mine using WLP500. I have read that this particular yeast is a slow to start strain. At this point over 36 hrs into the "ferment" of the starter, there is no action.

I know that this strain has issues and I have used it before with no problems, in fact previous experience gave me an explosive ferment...literally. This time however, I have pushed back my brew day and can only push it back one more day. But 1/2 the way through with no activity and I am getting worried?

I know what experience says: be patient, no action means nothing, give it time....I could just as easily buy another vial today. The one in question has been in my fridge for a month but did not expire until september. What is the general consensus out there? Buy one more to be safe or wait until the full 72 hrs are up?

36 hours is not a point to be freaking out, especially with a starter.

I've had a few starters that didn't look like they were doing anything but a whiff of it smelling like alcohol instead of sugary sweetness told me it's working. Gravity readings also help to determine if they've started. But it's not at all uncommon for a starter to look like it's not working.

I agree with that. Most of mine usually take off pretty quickly. I have had a few that take some time to get going. As I type, my wlp500 smells like yeasty malt turning to alcohol. There are the beginings of mini bubbles so its starting to start:rockin: I know that 36 is not time to worry but I just cant help it some times.

I have done this long enough I should know to not second guess myself and mainly, not second guess the yeast. As I mentioned, I am familiar with the strain and have seen opposite results in the speed with which it begins to work. Anyways, tragedy averted and I can now start my brew! Question to Reno Envy: I was in Vegas last week and tasted a local brew called Tenaya creek..or Teneya. Ever heard of it? Tried it? I sampled the check pils and was blown away. I have been hunting here in TX for it but have come up dry. Its a shame...they make great brews!

Oh yeah. I grew up in Vegas but moved to Reno for school. I rarely visit Vegas (mostly because it's so far away, but it's also not that awesome) but the time I went back after turning 21 I went to Tenaya Creek. Good stuff.

And you are most definitely not going to give it in Texas considering it's a local brewery/brewpub.

But good to know your start is good to go.

Yeah its still starting slooooowly but Im moving forward with the brew anyways. I know that the little yeasters have been working so at least I wont have a lag time. I just havent seen this strain work so slowly previously so its kind of pissing me off that still, its just barely going.

My first time to Vegas, went for work so had to maintain a level of responsibility by day but partied every night. I could see how it would get old if you lived there or grew up there- I had a blast as a tourist. I am going to try and convince the Tenaya people to send some out here. We have local brews that we could trade with them. If I have to fly out again and drive it back I am prepared to do that as well. Ill let you know how the brew turns out!

I'm having the same trouble now - 36 hours into my wlp 500 starter (1.3 liters) and there is absolutely no activity! All my starters take off in less than 12 hours, so not sure WTF is happening here...but i'm getting irritated cause it's never happened before

please tell me this is an anomaly with wlp 500!??

After 48 hours, my starter actually began to bubble up the side a little bit - so I could finally see some activity in there.

I pitched into 5 gallons of 1.063 wort last night...this morning, I'm getting some airlock activity so it looks like everything is okay in the world of WLP 500.

After 48 hours, my starter actually began to bubble up the side a little bit - so I could finally see some activity in there.

I pitched into 5 gallons of 1.063 wort last night...this morning, I'm getting some airlock activity so it looks like everything is okay in the world of WLP 500.

Mine took about three days to really get going. Just be patient and shake a lot. It will start soon, I promise!

Back