High Speed Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to brew a hefe with wyeast 3068 and go grain to glass in 10 days to get ready for a brew fest. Usually I’m pretty patient with beers and do everything low and slow so to speak. But this time it’s going to be a rapid force carb after 8ish days in the fermenter. Anybody had any experience trying to rush this beer? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Recipe
10 gallon batch
10lb pilsner
10 lb white wheat
1lb rice hulls
1 oz perle @ 60 min
Wyeast 3068 stepped up starter (1L each)

I have turned around a hefe in 7 days. Spund it and you will shave some days off and it will be better anyway. With fresh yeast you should not need 8 days in the primary.

You can carb a beer in 2 days. Also are you temp controlling it or letting it free run? If its free run itll be done in like 5 days and burst carb at 42psi for 24 hrs then turn down to serving psi for 24 hrs.

You can safely carb a keg in an afternoon by using "chart pressure" while rocking the standing keg back and forth until one cannot hear gas entering the keg. Set aside for an hour, then repeat the rocking 'til no gas heard. By the 4th cycle the beer will usually be moderately carbonated, and as long as chart pressure is used the beer cannot be overcarbonated...

Cheers!

You can carb a beer in 2 days. Also are you temp controlling it or letting it free run? If its free run itll be done in like 5 days and burst carb at 42psi for 24 hrs then turn down to serving psi for 24 hrs.
It’s been temp controlled at 66 since Tuesday. I’m thinking about letting it ramp up now to finish. Definitely not worried about getting it carbed in time. Just wasn’t sure if the lack of any conditioning time would lead to flavor issues.

I do not know how you brew. I have been learning to 'brew clean' meaning I try to keep clear wort throughout the entire brewing process. So when I made the hefe in a short time, pretty much the only "stuff" in the fermenter was wort and yeast. So not much that could create off flavors that needed to be conditioned away. Hefe flavors are strongest early, so I think this is a fast beer if you want it to be.

It’s been temp controlled at 66 since Tuesday. I’m thinking about letting it ramp up now to finish. Definitely not worried about getting it carbed in time. Just wasn’t sure if the lack of any conditioning time would lead to flavor issues.
The truth is there wont be any off flavors, but it wont come into its prime at day 7. If you let hefes chill for 2 weeks, they get super smooth, early on they do have a slight yeast bite. Ramp up the temp to finish it off .

@Mutt98 so how did this turn out?
I generally find that there is a bit of sulphur until the end of two weeks so usually ferment 3 weeks. This is because I bottle hefes and cannot burp it like a keg to blow off sulphur.
Was a big hit at the brew fest. I’m down to probably one or two pints out of a 10 gallon batch. Still had a bit extra yeast flavor while serving, but had plenty of fans. Now I’ve got to brew it again for one more summer run before switching over to some fall stuff.

Back