Goofed up with the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
This is my first brew, so most likely I am over thinking everything I do.

I put the primary in the brew closet yesterday about 3pm (EST), to day at 9am my dog was barking at the brew closet. I opened the door thinking that maybe I was getting some bubbling, put nothing was visible. I did smell the obvious yeast smell. When looking closer I noticed that I did not put the plastic part back in the airlock after sanitizing it. I fetched it out of my sani bucket and put it on and the bubbling was quite active.

Anyone think I have an issue here?

BTW, it is funny watching my dog going nuts barking at the primary bubbling.

Maybe I will name my beer making adventures "Barking Dog Brewing" :fro:

More than likely you'll be fine. There is an off chance that contamination got into the brew via a messed up airlock, but early fermentation is usually so vigorous that a steady c02 stream is keeping it out.

Considering the number of stupid things I've done to my beer, it is actually pretty durable.

You'll be fine. Some people do open fermentation. Not to mention the CO2 that was escaping from the tiny airlock wasn't letting much, if anything, in.

You'll be fine. As the above poster stated, there will be CO2 coming out of your fermenter, so the likelihood of any baddies getting in is pretty slim.

Back