Gone bad? or can i recover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GriffsBrews

Reaction score
All,

Brewed the batch on the right Saturday. Its an American Pale Wheat. Checked it today, and I see this white film. Is this the start of a good ferment, or is it going bad?
Can I recover it if its gone bad?

Please advise so I can take evasive actions today if necessary.

ForumRunner_20121105_105216.png

If you just pitched yeast on Saturday, all you're probably seeing is is bubboes from aeration and yeast beginning to form. Nothing serious. It's highly improbably for something nasty to forum in 48 hours especially with yeast already competing for primacy in there. I don't think there's really anything to worry about. Looks like co2 and foam to me.

Ok, phew. Hate to be nervous, but only have 7 or so batches under the belt. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks to all of you for your quick responses. Can't wait to taste this sukka.

So if a batch gets "infected", am I looking for something closer to webbing? Kinda like mycelin?

like others have said, looks fine. fermentations do not all look alike.

and if some day you do get an infection, there isn't much you can do about it. by the time you can see it, it's take hold and can't be removed. although you might see something on the surface (a pelicle, floating bits, etc) the infection is everywhere in the beer.

Back