fermentation foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
recently i made a 11 litters batch pale ale, 14 days of fermentation and 2 days of cold, but yesterday when i decided to bottle i see a kind of foam on top, i don't know what it is, i decided to try the beer and it was perfect, good flavour, and today seein the bottles, there are many with foam on top, is this bad or can i expect some bad in future?

beer on fermentator
408743cd-6966-45a8-a84f-ab0cb975837b.jpg

beer on bottle

873ef383-e5af-4853-a7c8-8447424a60db.jpg

That's just a bit of yeast residue, normally you can suck the beer from underneath this when you bottle.
The yeast on the top in the bottle should go if you invert the bottle a couple of times, or invert before cooling after conditioning. It should be okay.

That's just a bit of yeast residue, normally you can suck the beer from underneath this when you bottle.
The yeast on the top in the bottle should go if you invert the bottle a couple of times, or invert before cooling after conditioning. It should be okay.

thaks for your anwser i will try you comment in other batch, now the beer was bottle

How did you confirm fermentation was complete?

i did not, i have no tools to check, i am going to buy a refractometer so that from now on I can measure the density

thaks for your anwser i will try you comment in other batch, now the beer was bottle

i did not, i have no tools to check, i am going to buy a refractometer so that from now on I can measure the density
You will need a hydrometer at least to calculate the correction factor for your refractometer.

You will need a hydrometer at least to calculate the correction factor for your refractometer.

Wort correction factors are wort specific, not refractometer specific. 1.04 is a very usable default for most beer worts. In this case, an uncalibrated refractometer with no WCF would be sufficient to be sure OP doesn't bottle an active fermentation.

Wort correction factors are wort specific, not refractometer specific. 1.04 is a very usable default for most beer worts. In this case, an uncalibrated refractometer with no WCF would be sufficient to be sure OP doesn't bottle an active fermentation.
So when I did the calibration refractometer using the brewfather brix to gravity tool calibration option the number generated as a correction factor only applied to that wort?
The answers it has given me do correlate extremely consistently with the hydrometer reading I am taking across a wide range of different worts.

Back