Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy to fix, evil nonetheless

FB_IMG_1447701260826.jpg

Dogmeat is a PITA. I like him, but I hate companions in these games. The bastards always get in the way and give away my sneakiness.

Yeah. I get this. I didn't use any companions in FO3 or FONV. I have been sticking by dogmeat because he has been useful as a combat diversion. But that fvcker is ALWAYS in the way any other time. Haven't had him blow my cover yet because I've made sure to make him stay when exploring buildings and compounds.

Easy to fix, evil nonetheless

That is absolutely evil. Though unfortunately you have to turn the option on in the game first, and secondly you need to (at least with the PC) when trying to connect a device, alt-tab out approve the connection on the firewall, then go back into the game and try again.

I am considering having someone watch me play and hit the stimpack when I am close to dying.

They really need a map marker for him though so you can find him. They also need to make a "where is the damn raiders corpse that I shot from 200 yards out? He had a missile launcher I want?" highlighter or something.

YES. I rely mostly on sniping when I'm out on the Wasteland. It's a pain to drop a raider from way out, only to have to search for which shrub or debris pile he fell in.

You could always do as I do.. sneak up behind them and punch their head off. Knuckles have surprisingly decent damage.

I watched my brother playing New Vegas a bit this summer. He was working his way through the DLC's before pushing on with the campaign. He had maxed out his level and built all of his stats up to 100 except for Unarmed and Melee, which were both in the 30's or 40's. He maxed out Barter, for goodness' sake!

I felt sorry for him. Then I saw that he had hardcore mode turned off and was carrying around thousands of rounds of every kind of ammunition imaginable without taking up any weight, and I felt sorry for myself and the hours I had spent on inventory management with all that heavy ammo.

I am with you there. Barter is the most worthless ability in the fallout games. Yeah it sucks at first, but eventually you have more ammo and caps then you could spend.

I felt sorry for him. Then I saw that he had hardcore mode turned off..

HC mode is the only reason I can make it through so many hours in a non-competitive game. Did I overlook a hc option on this one, or can you just turn up the difficulty?

I am with you there. Barter is the most worthless ability in the fallout games. Yeah it sucks at first, but eventually you have more ammo and caps then you could spend.

I think the newer scrap function takes care of most of that in this one. I have been far less compelled to sell off my hoardings favoring scrapping for mods.

I decided to settle the drive in last night. so far I've only fortified around the screen structure. I am claiming that as my personal home. I'd like to place an array of turrets on top but I am unsure how effective they'd be up there given the range. Need to see if there are any specs on the turrets.

I am also confused about the protectron personalities. Do they do anything?

I booted up the one at wicked shipping in law mode in hopes it'd attack the ghouls. Nope!

Then I reset it to medical in hopes it'd heal me. Nope!

Nearby truck caught fire so I set it to fire mode. Nope! Nothing.

Found one in the basement of a parking garage with ghouls. Turned it on to law mode and it attacked ME!

Now I am at the Super Mart. Set that one to Subway. Have seen a few flashes but I am skeered to come out where it can see me. Thot I'd wait it out and let it do a round.

HC mode is the only reason I can make it through so many hours in a non-competitive game. Did I overlook a hc option on this one, or can you just turn up the difficulty?

I don;t recall a HC mode but you can change the difficulty. I think at most it makes raiders tougher and spawns more legendary foes.

Alright... Flocc the Buzzer heli on FC4.

1. I had no idea what was going on when it stalled at too high an altitude for the first time.

I was just going to fly over this mountain quick to the outpost on the other side. Nope, altimeter started beeping, stalled and slammed into the side of a mountain, hilariously killing me in a ball of fire.

2. Please, don't give me an air vehicle if you don't start me out with a parachute or wingsuit.

I'll just be buzzing along, and 'oh ****... There's a skirmish going on down there, karma points!!!'

Hold square... I'm falling... I have no parachute.

Splat. Right in the middle of their gun battle. This has happened no less than 4 times.

Ha. Was that you or just a random clip?

I've learned to make a habit to tell that damned dog to stay as soon as I walk into a building or a compound.

And bless healing him with stimpacks! I used to feel sorry for him. But twice now I've had no choice to let him suffer during a battle. Finish off the last guy, and that damn dog springs up like nothing happened.

Naah, just something I saw that was funny. It looks set up anyway since he clearly looks ahead as the dog does it and just stands there. Funny, nonetheless.

Having traveled with that fvcker as much as I have been, I can see that happening. And I can see myself doing the same thing "Awe bless you you piece of (boom!)"

Naah, just something I saw that was funny. It looks set up anyway since he clearly looks ahead as the dog does it and just stands there. Funny, nonetheless.

Oh i've had Dogmeat do something close to that a few times. Mostly I have the same reaction as that guy must have been having in the video... the "Oh F*ck, you did't just do that, I'm screwed"

Ok, maybe it's just me then.. when I see **** like that go down I at least try to get out of range of the bad ****. Except for the first time I had a power suit. Had to test out it's defense vs. frag mine.

I'm fairly certain it was Dogmeat that got me killed twice at the drive-in.

First time I was inside the concession, crouched down to check the shelves for junk. I pop up to see dogmeat outside walking toward the front of the building next thing I know "deet, deet, deet" (looking down) wtf where is the landmine BOOM!

I restart and go back. This time I save before I go in the building and tell dogmeat to sit his ass down. I go in. wtf? Is it hidden in the leaves. I crouch and move ever so slowly to find, nothing. I back track. Nope nothing. I go out, tell dogmeat to follow, and he goes in.

So now I am outside looking at the bases of the stool for a landmine. (Bark! dogmeat has found something) I look up and dogmeat is looking at a box ion the counter that I missed (deet, deet, deet) bless! he set off a bottle cap mine (BOOM!)

I restart. Sit that fvcking dog down. and go straight to the fvcking mine.

Ok, maybe it's just me then.. when I see **** like that go down I at least try to get out of range of the bad ****. Except for the first time I had a power suit. Had to test out it's defense vs. frag mine.

Not just you. But I've had it happen a few times where all you had time for was figuring out what just happened and why.

I've also taken great pleasure in hearing that dog get his too. Basement in parking garage. I notice the oil slick on the ground. Backed up, pulled out the gun, aimed and just as I pulled the trigger I thought (where is dogmeat) BOOM! Yalp! :D

Battlefront came in today. My free time is done. With that, Fallout and FIFA, if I didn't live with my gf I'd probably play XB1 10 hours a day right now.

Battlefront came in today. My free time is done. With that, Fallout and FIFA, if I didn't live with my gf I'd probably play XB1 10 hours a day right now.

I am currently jockeying my time between Fallout 4, Tomb Raider Rise, COD:AW campaign, COD:BO3 campaign, Halo 5 campaign, Outlast, I STILL haven't finished Witcher 3 and they just released a DLC expansion (Argh).

And now Battlefront.

If I hadn't been married for 17 years, and have 2 kids with her, she'd probly put the TV in the garage and lock the door.

I think the newer scrap function takes care of most of that in this one. I have been far less compelled to sell off my hoardings favoring scrapping for mods.

I decided to settle the drive in last night. so far I've only fortified around the screen structure. I am claiming that as my personal home. I'd like to place an array of turrets on top but I am unsure how effective they'd be up there given the range. Need to see if there are any specs on the turrets.

I am also confused about the protectron personalities. Do they do anything?

I booted up the one at wicked shipping in law mode in hopes it'd attack the ghouls. Nope!

Then I reset it to medical in hopes it'd heal me. Nope!

Nearby truck caught fire so I set it to fire mode. Nope! Nothing.

Found one in the basement of a parking garage with ghouls. Turned it on to law mode and it attacked ME!

Now I am at the Super Mart. Set that one to Subway. Have seen a few flashes but I am skeered to come out where it can see me. Thot I'd wait it out and let it do a round.

I surrounded the red rocket (heh) with a lot of machine gun turrets after the second time I got attacked by supermutants while modding my equipment. Then the next time I was doing so I hear a bunch of them going off and watch a super mutant get his butt handed to him. It was... satisfying.
Havent figured the protrectrons out. Apparently the mode affects their weapon and attack style (they still for some reason are biased against vault dwellers)
Get the scrapping perk. It helps. Also, I couldn't figure out why i was always over-encumbered. The mods that you have taken off of weapons/armor move to your inventory. I wish they would stash in your workbenches with the hotkey rather than having to be loaded in there manually/sold off.

Every F*king time.

I surrounded the red rocket (heh) with a lot of machine gun turrets after the second time I got attacked by supermutants while modding my equipment. Then the next time I was doing so I hear a bunch of them going off and watch a super mutant get his butt handed to him. It was... satisfying.
Havent figured the protrectrons out. Apparently the mode affects their weapon and attack style (they still for some reason are biased against vault dwellers)
Get the scrapping perk. It helps. Also, I couldn't figure out why i was always over-encumbered. The mods that you have taken off of weapons/armor move to your inventory. I wish they would stash in your workbenches with the hotkey rather than having to be loaded in there manually/sold off.

I've thought about building red rocket as a home base too. So many crafting options already there. I made the mistake of scrapping the cooking station in sanctuary thinking it'd hold parts for me to build it closer to the main house before I realized I had to just relocate it. Doh!

The drive-in seemed more central to the map but lacks a LOT of crafting stations.

I am a meager Lvl 10 right now. Haven't even upgraded a single perk to level 1 yet. I expect things to get a bit easier once I do but so far I've kept the base tier pretty balanced.

Get the perks. They are worth it. Scrounger for ammo is nice, the lockpicking and hacking are necessary. The modification ones are definitely useful (unless you like running around with a squirt gun). A lot of the luck perks are really useful like idiot savant (freaking annoying ass sound effect though when it pops".

Get the perks. They are worth it. Scrounger for ammo is nice, the lockpicking and hacking are necessary. The modification ones are definitely useful (unless you like running around with a squirt gun). A lot of the luck perks are really useful like idiot savant (freaking annoying ass sound effect though when it pops".

Yeah. Is part of why I've opted to stay balanced so far since the base tier unlocks the following tier. Still getting familiar with the system this time as I am unsure if you can skip a level.

Like say you want the level 4 Intelligence perk. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems you have to fill out the base Intelligence before level 1 opens. Can you just skip over levels 1, 2, 3 and just choose level 4?

Maybe a dumb and obvious answer. I haven't messed with it much aside from the base SPECIAL tier.

Yeah. Is part of why I've opted to stay balanced so far since the base tier unlocks the following tier. Still getting familiar with the system this time as I am unsure if you can skip a level.

Like say you want the level 4 Intelligence perk. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems you have to fill out the base Intelligence before level 1 opens. Can you just skip over levels 1, 2, 3 and just choose level 4?

Maybe a dumb and obvious answer. I haven't messed with it much aside from the base SPECIAL tier.

Nope. You can pick any perk that you qualify for. Basically there is a level/stat level

just pick the intelligence level 4 perk. no prerequisites at all as there is no 'skill tree' to speak of

Nope. You can pick any perk that you qualify for. Basically there is a level/stat level

just pick the intelligence level 4 perk. no prerequisites at all as there is no 'skill tree' to speak of

So you don't have to complete the base "training" before the lower tiers open up?

I've actually never tried to pick one. I've looked at them but when it was selected the star did not fill out as brightly as it did on the training tier so I assumed all the training stars had to be filled in to advance the lower tiers.

bless! If that is not the case I may have to restart.

For example on "Strength Training" there are 10 stars. Do you not have to fill in all 10 of those in before you can get the Level 1 Iron fist?

So what then do the stars on the training tier correlate to?

I'm fairly certain it was Dogmeat that got me killed twice at the drive-in.

First time I was inside the concession, crouched down to check the shelves for junk. I pop up to see dogmeat outside walking toward the front of the building next thing I know "deet, deet, deet" (looking down) wtf where is the landmine BOOM!

I restart and go back. This time I save before I go in the building and tell dogmeat to sit his ass down. I go in. wtf? Is it hidden in the leaves. I crouch and move ever so slowly to find, nothing. I back track. Nope nothing. I go out, tell dogmeat to follow, and he goes in.

So now I am outside looking at the bases of the stool for a landmine. (Bark! dogmeat has found something) I look up and dogmeat is looking at a box ion the counter that I missed (deet, deet, deet) bless! he set off a bottle cap mine (BOOM!)

I restart. Sit that fvcking dog down. and go straight to the fvcking mine.

Oh, and if it helps, if you want to find a mine easily, go into VATS. It will automatically target the nearest NPC, or Mine. Easy peasy.

So you don't have to complete the base "training" before the lower tiers open up?

I've actually never tried to pick one. I've looked at them but when it was selected the star did not fill out as brightly as it did on the training tier so I assumed all the training stars had to be filled in to advance the lower tiers.

bless! If that is not the case I may have to restart.

For example on "Strength Training" there are 10 stars. Do you not have to fill in all 10 of those in before you can get the Level 1 Iron fist?

So what then do the stars on the training tier correlate to?

no no no not at all. The stars at the S P E C I A L are your stats for the individual what have you's

Strength is HP and carry weight, Perception is accuracy and stuff you notice about your enemies. increasing these stats strengthens what the base stat contributes as if you chose say 6 strength instead of 5 when building your character. It also unlocks the skills below it that require 6 in strength instead of 5. For example the first tier below SPECIAL are the skills that require minimum 1 star in the corresponding stat. The second tier requires 2, etc. Since there is no level cap it is feasible to eventually have the entire board filled and 10 of every stat.

no no no not at all. The stars at the S P E C I A L are your stats for the individual what have you's

Strength is HP and carry weight, Perception is accuracy and stuff you notice about your enemies. increasing these stats strengthens what the base stat contributes as if you chose say 6 strength instead of 5 when building your character. It also unlocks the skills below it that require 6 in strength instead of 5. For example the first tier below SPECIAL are the skills that require minimum 1 star in the corresponding stat. The second tier requires 2, etc. Since there is no level cap it is feasible to eventually have the entire board filled and 10 of every stat.

Fawk, Fawk, Fawk.

I was partially right but still almost completely wrong. I just Googled, which I try to avoid.

According to the Fallout 4 Bathesda page it's more like this;

The training tier is your ability levels 1-10. The tiers below are your perks levels 1-10.

If have 5 stars in your Strength ability you can choose to apply any of the perks from level 1 through 5 OR increase the ability to level 6.

So, if you want the strength lvl 10 perk, you do have to have 10 stars filled on the ability training level.

Anyone here have much experience with Google Cardboard? Thinking about picking up a few cheapish headsets to give out as xmas gifts, and maybe one for myself.

Not expecting anything too mind-blowing, but seems like it might be a fun toy to play with while waiting for Occulus Rift.

Anyone here have much experience with Google Cardboard? Thinking about picking up a few cheapish headsets to give out as xmas gifts, and maybe one for myself.

Not expecting anything too mind-blowing, but seems like it might be a fun toy to play with while waiting for Occulus Rift.

I get my cardboard from a Yahoo at the box store. ;)

So, the original 28 points at the start and the 10 I have earned by leveling up have all gone into the base 7 abilities in a somewhat balanced fashion. Obviously I have three abilities with 1 more star than the remaining 4. So all of my abilities are at lvl 5 or better.

Now I just have to decide if I keep building this way and max them all out or if I start taking some perks or if I start over.

#totallymissedhowthatworks

Was not familiar with Google Cardboard. Looks like it has some promise. Maybe I will use it for dorking around on my old phone.

So, the original 28 points at the start and the 10 I have earned by leveling up have all gone into the base 7 abilities in a somewhat balanced fashion. Obviously I have three abilities with 1 more star than the remaining 4. So all of my abilities are at lvl 5 or better.

Now I just have to decide if I keep building this way and max them all out or if I start taking some perks or if I start over.

#totallymissedhowthatworks

Yeah, there are a lot of things that are not explained well. Like, for example, you would not know that holding down tab on the PC version will turn on the "flashlight" or headlamp on the power armor. I only knew this because I learned it in FO3.

This is why I really like physical media games. They have manuals and stuff you can research while taking breaks (bathroom, eating, etc) from the game.

Was not familiar with Google Cardboard. Looks like it has some promise. Maybe I will use it for dorking around on my old phone.

Yeah, there are a lot of things that are not explained well. Like, for example, you would not know that holding down tab on the PC version will turn on the "flashlight" or headlamp on the power armor. I only knew this because I learned it in FO3.

This is why I really like physical media games. They have manuals and stuff you can research while taking breaks (bathroom, eating, etc) from the game.

I learned about the light in FO3 by reading the in-game help. aka manual. :p

Forgot about the light and fumbled the controller playing FO4. "Oh, that's right, pip-boy has a light." The in-game manual may also better explain character progression too but ... hell, I don't even actually read half of the **** on the terminals. I still go through it all because it can open options and populate map markers.

Finding mines with VATS is new to me. Not sure it's useful unless you intend to detonate them from a distance. Are you just randomly clicking VATS on potential mine locations to check for them?

I like trying to disarm them. Got real good at that in FO3 (even without the light foot perk). Haven't trained my eye to look for them yet in FO4. I've only come across 3 trip mines and 1 bottle cap mine.

I learned about the light in FO3 by reading the in-game help. aka manual. :p

Forgot about the light and fumbled the controller playing FO4. "Oh, that's right, pip-boy has a light." The in-game manual may also better explain character progression too but ... hell, I don't even actually read half of the **** on the terminals. I still go through it all because it can open options and populate map markers.

Finding mines with VATS is new to me. Not sure it's useful unless you intend to detonate them from a distance. Are you just randomly clicking VATS on potential mine locations to check for them?

I like trying to disarm them. Got real good at that in FO3 (even without the light foot perk). Haven't trained my eye to look for them yet in FO4. I've only come across 3 trip mines and 1 bottle cap mine.

Yep. thats all it takes. I tend to quick walk in sneak to know if someone is around. Nearing towns and military bases i tap the vats button every now and again to check for hidden enemies and mines. Havent stepped on one yet.

Latest posts

Back