cheap filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i am not sure where or how this problem started, but my three most recent brews all have the same problem, little floaters.

its like the yeast didnt settle at the bottom of the keg, and every time i pull a pint, there are floaties in the glass. they have all been in the fridge for over a month, some on the longer side of a few months.

the beers all taste like they should, there is no sour or crappy taste so i dont think its an infection, i just cant seem to get the dam yeast to settle.

the only thing i can think of is that i tried using gelatin for the first time in two of these kegs. does that not settle to the bottom of the keg?

should i filter it? maybe try one of these?Austin Homebrew Supply

The gelatin will settle to the bottom. You should eventually pull enough of it through the diptube to get clear beer. I've always used gelatin in the carboy after I've crashed cooled a beer, let it sit for a couple of days, and then rack to keg. I haven't used gelatin for about a year because I've had pretty good luck by just leaving the beers in the kegger long enough that the beers clear. Never used a plate filter so can't help you there.

i am not sure where or how this problem started, but my three most recent brews all have the same problem, little floaters.

its like the yeast didnt settle at the bottom of the keg, and every time i pull a pint, there are floaties in the glass. they have all been in the fridge for over a month, some on the longer side of a few months.

the beers all taste like they should, there is no sour or crappy taste so i dont think its an infection, i just cant seem to get the dam yeast to settle.

the only thing i can think of is that i tried using gelatin for the first time in two of these kegs. does that not settle to the bottom of the keg?

should i filter it? maybe try one of these?Austin Homebrew Supply

How long did you leave the beer in the primary fermenter and at what temperature? What kind of yeast and which strain? Did you secondary the beer?

I filter using the same homemade filter that Zamial referred to and it really works great. I use 1 and 5 micron filters which are around $5 and you get multiple uses out of them.

noob here,,but,,ever think about using paper coffee filters? I have used them for several other filtering applications

Zamial, I like your setup. Do you have two separate housings? Do you run both filters in line, or do you run the beer through one, then change the filter and run it through the second time with the smaller filter.

Back