why 2 pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i am curious why i see so many setups with 2 pumps mounted on them.. is there any reason to have 2 pumps and not just use 1 pump? couldn't you just slide the pump between the 3 vessels where needed to not have to worry about longer lines? or am i missing something?

If you are going to fly sparge on a single tier you need two pumps running.

If you have a 3 vessel, single tier, you'll need 3 pumps or a pump and a bucket. Which, IMO, defeats using a pump.
You could do a 2 tier 3 vessel setup with one pump

If you have a 3 vessel, single tier, you'll need 3 pumps or a pump and a bucket. Which, IMO, defeats using a pump.
You could do a 2 tier 3 vessel setup with one pump

i assume you had a typo here.. no reason for 3 pumps.

If you batch sparge 1 pump is fine
If you fly sparge 2 is needed for a single tier setup. If you elevate the HLT to a 2nd tier you can use gravity to fly sparge and still use one pump.

One pump just pumps hot water, the other moves wort around. I only have to clean one pump, and the other can be a backup.

I have a two tier but I use 2 pumps. One for sparging and the other for transferring to the fermenter. I didn't want to have to move my pump around.

One pump just pumps hot water, the other moves wort around. I only have to clean one pump, and the other can be a backup.
Ditto here. I was using 1 pump for a while, but got tired of switching so many connections around. Now I have 1 dedicated to HLT->MLT pumping, and the other does all of the BK<->MLT moving. MMmmm, stainless.

supportfront.jpg

-Joe

Back