New England Grain Buy January 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was JBellett that added those 6 bags to column AA? It looks like those changes happened right about when he said he was going to place his order.

Just wondering what the stance was on DME...looking to add a sack of BM-5748 to my order if possible. If it is too much hassle, I understand though.

Just to let everyone know that if column AA isn't claimed by Friday next week I am going to delete it

Also I forgot to eliminate a couple of the malt types. I had to move 2 bags from stuff that we don't order.

Just wondering what the stance was on DME...looking to add a sack of BM-5748 to my order if possible. If it is too much hassle, I understand though.

I've done DME in the last few buys. So far no problems.
If you are doing a 5748 bag, I may just have to jump in and grab another myself. I hate adding it to list for just my one!

wstbrewing

Hold strong everyone, we shall make it through winter!

On the bright side, when we have good snow days like we should tonight and tomorrow, I get extra brew sessions while 'working from home' :D

Keeping this one active and visible. I'll be adding my order in the next few days.

Boston- prepare yourselves, more is coming!

I am pretty sure I started the sanitizer split for Star San (5S-STAR4). Now it reads 5S-SANI4. Do the other members of the split have the same recollection? Can we change it back to Star San?

Ya, that's shat I recall too. I dont care what it is so long as it's sanitizer though.

It may be cheaper, but doesn't it require 1 oz to 4 gallons, opposed to 1 oz to 5 gallons?

There was a podcast with the owner of 5 star and I remember him mentioning it required a greater ratio, but was in fact a sanitizer despite not being able to label it as one.

Back to the sanitizer question. Can we keep one of the sanitizer splits as StarSan? My opinion (I have decades of experience as a biochemist and microbiologist) is that StarSan is likely to be more effective. The price is essentially the same. Granted StarSan and Saniclean have a similar mechanism of action. At low pH, both active ingredients are going to be concentrated in at least many microbes. However, StarSan looks like a much stronger detergent and therefore a better killing agent. Also the StarSan ingredient has a lot more testing data since it has been used for a long time as a laundry detergent.

I would say do one SaniClean and one StarSan. I understand were you care coming from I have used both over my 20 years of brewing and I find both to work well. Have not had an infected batch using either. The issue is if you are using StarSan in an application that would create foam you end up with a huge mess.

I would say that the Saniclean is just as good. And I have only seen the saniclean in all the breweries I have toured. I figure if it is good for their use, it is good for mine.

I'm having trouble editing the form, would you put me down for one cm-2row and i'll complete the splits for bz-whet and bz-pils.

Thanks

Never-mind, Opened the document with a computer rather than my phone. Order added.

Last edited:
Don.. I fudged the sheet trying to put in a .25 split in the starsan column. Mind fixing that and putting it in my column?
Thanks dude

First time on a bulk buy - thanks for setting this up!

Welcome! Please ask any questions you may have prior to modifying the spreadsheet. It can be confusing if you have never done a group buy before, so sometimes best to make sure you are comfortable editing the worksheet :)

Welcome! Please ask any questions you may have prior to modifying the spreadsheet. It can be confusing if you have never done a group buy before, so sometimes best to make sure you are comfortable editing the worksheet :)

I think I'm set, but tell me if I messed something up! I'm trying to purchase one bag each of MO, 2 Row, and Pearl.

Thanks again!

Hey Guys and gals sorry for being out of touch. Looks like things are rocking along. We are getting close to 3 pallets. One issue we are going to have is the snow. So I would not expect the shipment before it does a good deal more melting.

Whoever tjmac is went in and oversubscribed a split of TF-PERL. Once a split goes to green, it's closed.

I opened a new split, and moved his/her half bag to that new split. So now there's a half bag still open. Heady clone anyone???

Hey everyone first time bulk buy for me. I have a few open splits, please see the sheet. Please let me know if I made any errors on the sheet.

Hey everyone first time bulk buy for me. I have a few open splits, please see the sheet. Please let me know if I made any errors on the sheet.

You didnt make any errors that I noticed. I took the other half of your C60 split. A couple things to keep in mind about splits:

If no one else fills your split, the bag wont get ordered. So keep an eye on it when we are close to closing the buy.

Splitting the bags and weighing the grain is a lot of extra work so we usually require people with splits to show up early and help sort to offset the extra work for everyone.

Other than that, your order looks like a good mix!

Thanks for the info aslander, I'll keep that in mind about the splits. I shouldn't have a problem getting there early.

Just entered my order for one bag of each: BZ-PILS, TF-MOPA, TF-PRL (TF-PERL), CW-2ROW, and BW-WHT (BZ-WHET). Let me know if there any issues. I am in column 'AM'.

Thanks again for setting this up.

Can anyone tell me how big a 1/4 split of PBW is? Not sure how big a bucket I'll need for that. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back