First time large batch IPA, maybe too watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glaurung30

Reaction score
Well I have done a couple of Mr. Beer kits and I decided to step up to the plate of doing a 5 gallon batch. I got an IPA kit from Austin Homebrewing and followed the directions. I started it on Saturday. So far there is very little activity in the airlock which I know isn't the biggest indicator but I was wondering about it so I did open it and it is definitely bubbling, just not a lot. I did draw a sample out with a santized wine thief and it tasted pretty watery. I'm having a suspicion that not enough water boiled off.

Am I basically stuck with a watered down beer? Or am I just being paranoid and it's far to soon to tell?

I lean toward the second, way too early to tell and nothing you can do now but wait.

You say you got a kit, so I am going to assume extract, but even if it is all grain my answer is the same. If you came close to following the directions, you are unlikely to have made it too watery. You had a specific amount of malt to put into the boil. Assuming you were left with approximately 5gal, you did it right. Relax.

Latest posts

Back