I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aloha Friday everybody!

Good tunes, good friends - one of life's best treasures.

Took a trip over to Kaneohe this morning. Here's a shot of early morning cloud covered Kaneohe Bay.

h3b-63179.jpg

Been a pretty good last couple weeks. My daughter, (stepdaughter) was just named one of Hawaii's "40 Under 40" by the Pacific Business News. She has an awards ceremony next week where they'll name a Pacific News Young Business Leader of the year. Wish her luck. Bright young lady, at 26 she is President of Hawaii Junior Achievement. We're very proud of her!

Grandbaby is growing fast and new mom doing well. I should get a Facebook account. It might be a better way to stay caught up. These kids can't do anything in life without posting it on Facebook. I guess the similar can be said about me posting on HBT. I just like the limited exposure here.

My youngest daughter just finished her second year of college and got a summer job, that's a load off both of us. She provides in-home assistance to a handicapped lady. Sounds like she does everything from cooking and cleaning to helping her client deal with insurance companies. She's putting in 10 hour days the last few weeks but that should taper down to 2-3 hours a day by the time school starts back up this fall.

My son is getting ready for Afghanistan, he's excited. I have mixed feelings. Nobody else in the family is very happy about it. Understandable

I hate to even mention this as I'll jinx myself but I might have found a job. If all goes well I could be working within a few weeks and it's only about 10 minutes from the house!

I hope everybody has a great weekend filled with good times, BBQs and Home Brew! :mug:

Damn. It's been too long....passed pawn. I owe you some homebrew. I'll send that along when it's made. Had to take some time off brewing. I was fixing an electrical issue in my garage and took a fall off that ladder.

No it wasn't the fall that hurt me. It's how I broke my fall. An exposed nail....butt end was sticking out of my work bench to hang stuff on. It tore through the meat of my left hand..down to done..so I was out of it for a while.

Needless to say I didn't do any bottling.

Dan,
I'm glad things are going well. I hope everyone on this thread is well.

Gosh. I've been busy toying around with the possibility of going pro soon....hurts my brain. Red tape, red tape and money and red tape

Every time I taste a local beer that sucks I feel like I need to do something.

Aloha Friday everybody!

Good tunes, good friends - one of life's best treasures.

Took a trip over to Kaneohe this morning. Here's a shot of early morning cloud covered Kaneohe Bay.

h3b-63179.jpg

Been a pretty good last couple weeks. My daughter, (stepdaughter) was just named one of Hawaii's "40 Under 40" by the Pacific Business News. She has an awards ceremony next week where they'll name a Pacific News Young Business Leader of the year. Wish her luck. Bright young lady, at 26 she is President of Hawaii Junior Achievement. We're very proud of her!

Grandbaby is growing fast and new mom doing well. I should get a Facebook account. It might be a better way to stay caught up. These kids can't do anything in life without posting it on Facebook. I guess the similar can be said about me posting on HBT. I just like the limited exposure here.

My youngest daughter just finished her second year of college and got a summer job, that's a load off both of us. She provides in-home assistance to a handicapped lady. Sounds like she does everything from cooking and cleaning to helping her client deal with insurance companies. She's putting in 10 hour days the last few weeks but that should taper down to 2-3 hours a day by the time school starts back up this fall.

My son is getting ready for Afghanistan, he's excited. I have mixed feelings. Nobody else in the family is very happy about it. Understandable

I hate to even mention this as I'll jinx myself but I might have found a job. If all goes well I could be working within a few weeks and it's only about 10 minutes from the house!

I hope everybody has a great weekend filled with good times, BBQs and Home Brew! :mug:

That's a great pic Dan.

First attempt at the concrete window sill was a big fat fail. I added some Portland cement to the bag mix and got what seem to be some good results:

thumb2_img_20140620_124330_349-63183.jpg

thumb2_img_20140620_141329_762-63184.jpg

Just put on some iron sulphate stain it should end up a tan to rusty brown color:

thumb2_img_20140620_151435_076-63185.jpg

Glad everyone is doing good! Had a close call with a clutch cable snapping on my cycle... luckily i was going 25 in first when it happened.

Happy Weekend Ya'll.

Geez. I'm up late for a change and I'm still late for the party.

I"ll see your Metallica, Ischiavo (I almost spelled that right without looking :)) and raise you A Band of Gypsy's......

Last edited by a moderator:
I just couldn't let it go 48 hrs without a post. I like this time at night on HBT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

You should hear that on my brewshop sound system. I am going to find a disco ball when I am done here for the night.

Here is the stained window sill:

thumb2_img_20140622_122055_192-63194.jpg

I am very happy with it. It will match all the colors of the tile we have planned. I may install it some day when there is time...;)

Nice work there Ishiavo. I'm pretty sure that would have ended up in the garbage if I made it.

Thanks bud. I like rustic...it is. It will look great once I get a chance to install it. The first one I made ended up in the garbage. Just try again;)

A song that you will all love I am sure:

You should hear that on my brewshop sound system. I am going to find a disco ball when I am done here for the night.

Here is the stained window sill:

thumb2_img_20140622_122055_192-63194.jpg

I am very happy with it. It will match all the colors of the tile we have planned. I may install it some day when there is time...;)

That looks great Ischiavo! Will you have to reinforce the framing for the cement weight?

Arggg, grading a writing class takes forever.

Sounds like you've earned a cold brew. :)

I'm sitting outside in the front yard. The dogs and I got booted out of the house. Wife and her friend are inside making party favorites (whatever those are).

Sounds like you've earned a cold brew. :)

I'm sitting outside in the front yard. The dogs and I got booted out of the house. Wife and her friend are inside making party favorites (whatever those are).

I just finished the grades, so now I have earned that brew. Just one as it is getting late for a Wednesday. Front yard in Hawaii with Dasher does not sound so bad :)

That looks great Ischiavo! Will you have to reinforce the framing for the cement weight?

Thanks Dan. It is actually not that heavy and I know the framing is good because I built it:D. I am going to set it level it on a bed of thin set mortar and trim up to it and around the rest of the window with ash. Next time you head out to the lumber yard make sure to get yourself a piece of ash;)

Work is just crazy. I am very happy for it. It is making up for the slow spring very quickly. I had to email a few pics for a job and came across my coffee can wienie roaster (I promised to post a pic a while back).

thumb2_img_20140504_174306_486-960x1280-63202.jpg

I hope I can find the time for a few more hikes with the kids soon and get some more use out of it.

I have to finish my online code course now so I can keep my WI license. I only had three months to do it and the deadline is almost here...I can spell procrastination;)

Is that concrete window sill going on the inside?

Yes it is. Sort of like concrete countertops... Every window sill in my house is different. I have no idea why I chose to do that. All are wood until this one.

Time for some music eh? I always loved the guitar in this one:

Back to electrical code:(

Hey Late Nighters.

It's been a while. I spent a week at my in-law's in North Myrtle Beach and have been pretty busy since.

This is a great song by the Wood Brothers. It was written for their mother who died of ALS. Sad and great...

and I don't know why the hell youtube videos aren't embedding for me.

Hey everyone. I see things are still slow around here. It's summer right? Better things to do. :) Nice song CGVT. That song has soul. Might be a little depressing, but I liked it. Here's a song I've always loved. Not sure if I've posted it before and I'm too lazy to go back and look. I know I've posted songs from this album though. Oh well, it's one worth repeating IMO......

In San Diego, surrounded by amazing breweries that I cannot stop in this trip. Frustrating. Could be worse, at least I'm not in Fresno ;)

Sorry to hear that. Lots to enjoy there. I just spent a week in Vancouver. Amazing craft beer scene there. Who'd a thunk? My buddy and I walked between at least 7 or 8 breweries Friday.

I had to drive back into OC thid morning for a court hearing. Stopped at home and poured a 64oz growler off the keezer for late tonight back in SD.

Hey...Tour de France is gearing up (pun) greatest 3 weeks in sports.

Funny story. I was standing in line at the post office today getting stamps and the guy behind me was listening to headphones. He must be half deaf and had them turned up really loud. I could hear it plain as day. It was some nightclub sounding music like PP has posted before. You know the offspring and baby got back spin offs. Anyway, it had a lot of swearing in it. The theme was obviously the f word. It was cracking me up. The guy behind the counter was far enough away he couldn't hear it, but he kept glancing at me and was obviously confused as to why I was so amused. I even had to laugh and shake my head a couple times. Hilarious.

Anyway, quit smoking 6 days ago. Been long in the coming. I'm pretty sure it's gonna stick this time. I finally want to. Turns out, that makes a huge difference. Now if I could just stay out of the freakin oreos. Thought about not drinking any beer for a while since it's an obvious trigger, but who wants to do that. Might as well get used to it. Plus I've been having a bit of trouble sleeping and the beer helps with that.

Funny story. I was standing in line at the post office today getting stamps and the guy behind me was listening to headphones. He must be half deaf and had them turned up really loud. I could hear it plain as day. It was some nightclub sounding music like PP has posted before. You know the offspring and baby got back spin offs. Anyway, it had a lot of swearing in it. The theme was obviously the f word. It was cracking me up. The guy behind the counter was far enough away he couldn't hear it, but he kept glancing at me and was obviously confused as to why I was so amused. I even had to laugh and shake my head a couple times. Hilarious.

Anyway, quit smoking 6 days ago. Been long in the coming. I'm pretty sure it's gonna stick this time. I finally want to. Turns out, that makes a huge difference. Now if I could just stay out of the freakin oreos. Thought about not drinking any beer for a while since it's an obvious trigger, but who wants to do that. Might as well get used to it. Plus I've been having a bit of trouble sleeping and the beer helps with that.
Good luck with the smoking, tough habit to break, you do need to have it in your head that you want to and if you have that your on your way, if you stumble do it again.
Closing in on nine years for me, don't miss it a bit, food tastes better, beer tastes better and you have more coin in your pocket to brew more beer, strength!

Yeah, food and beer are already tasting better. A lot better. I could stand to put on a little weight, so I'm not worried about that. But I might have to think about an exercise program so I can put it to good use.

I quit smoking a bunch of years ago. Actually, I quit smoking many times in my life. It stuck when I decided to replace smoking with running. Turns out that worked. Can't smoke when you're running, and running definitely took away the urge. Running (which I wasn't good at) was an intensity that blew away the urge to smoke, which can be intense in itself. When I got the urge, I ran. I remember running several times a day.

Also, don't kid yourself that you can have one. You can't. I went cold turkey and I'll never, ever touch one again. I know what one leads to.

Here's a thread I started on the topic. Maybe you can glean something from it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/i-quit-smoking-472902/

Here, this is for you:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn40B9ugcrs[/ame]

Back