Topping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Kind of a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway.The directions from my LHBS say to top off to 5 gallons when I'm ready to pitch. Does that mean top off to five gallons so the carboy reads five gallons or top off to what would have been five gallons if there was no boil off, etc. Make sense?

Thanks,
Mark

You want a total of five gallons in the carboy. I filled all my carboys with 5 gallons of water and marked the outside with a sharpie. After making a extract batch, I simply top off to my sharpie line.

Hammy71 said:
You want a total of five gallons in the carboy. I filled all my carboys with 5 gallons of water and marked the outside with a sharpie. After making a extract batch, I simply top off to my sharpie line.

This is the easiest way to do it. Boil, chill and pour, siphon, whatever into the Carboy and then fill with cold water to the 5G mark. If you pour through a funnel/strainer, do it slowly or you'll get a whole lot of foam coming out the top!

I would urge you instead of topping off to reach an arbitrary VOLUME, like the 5 gallons, to top off to hit your recipe's original gravity (OG). The kit instructions to top off to exactly 5 gallons assumes that everything goes perfectly throughout the brew process, and it rarely does. Not getting 100% of the extract out of the container/bag, not hitting steeping temp perfectly, boilovers, not siphoning 100% of the wort, etc. can all affect your REAL final volume. Hitting the OG is much more important to end characteristics and quality of the beer.

After your cooldown, take a gravity reading before you add any top off water at all. This reading will be HIGHER than your expected OG. Then, slowly start to add top off water, stirring it LIKE CRAZY. Gravity is a measure of density (relative to water), so if you don't mix the water thoroughly, you won't get an accurate gravity reading. The oxygen you produce while stirring is also very good for yeast health once you pitch your yeast.

When you are 1/2 gallon or so from the 5 gallon mark, take another gravity reading. It is not uncommon for you to hit your OG a good 0.2-0.5 gallons BEFORE the 5 gallon mark, but it is better to come up short and have the proper OG than it is to go PAST the OG and have watered down beer.

Anyway, stop adding top off water when you hit your OG reading, which may or may not be the full 5 gallons. Your beer will be better for it.

I would urge you instead of topping off to reach an arbitrary VOLUME, like the 5 gallons, to top off to hit your recipe's original gravity (OG).

This is a great concept... but how do you implement it? If you are topping off, the chances of you being able to fully mix your wort are pretty low. Your gravity reading might be high, it might be low... when in fact, it actually was spot on, but you pulled more/less wort concentrate in your sample.

I'm not trying to be a so-and-so, I really am asking how to do this.

I pick up my carboy, shake it, let it sit for a few minutes then take my reading with a wine thief.
Great advice by TopherM!

I pick up my carboy, shake it, let it sit for a few minutes then take my reading with a wine thief.
Great advice by TopherM!

You are strong, and brave (or you use plastic). I can carry the five gallons around, but I don't know that I'd want to shake it - especially in a glass carboy.

I do, however, splash the heck out of it when pouring, and I do the rock/swirl thing for at least five minutes. I still have my doubts as to the mixture (I can see various colored layers in the carboy that blend out as fermentation happens).

the chances of you being able to fully mix your wort are pretty low

The chances of being able to fully mix your wort and top off water is very high, as long as you take the time and make a good effort to do so.

A few half-hearted stirs won't do it. You have to stir the everliving crap out of it, leaving about 4-5 inches of froth in your wake. It is then hard to take a gravity reading with all that froth, so it helps immensely to have a wine thief or turkey baster to get some no-frothy wort out for a sample.

It is very possible to properly mix top off water with wort, it is just an extra step that most don't take the time to complete.

I would urge you instead of topping off to reach an arbitrary VOLUME, like the 5 gallons, to top off to hit your recipe's original gravity (OG). The kit instructions to top off to exactly 5 gallons assumes that everything goes perfectly throughout the brew process, and it rarely does. Not getting 100% of the extract out of the container/bag, not hitting steeping temp perfectly, boilovers, not siphoning 100% of the wort, etc. can all affect your REAL final volume. Hitting the OG is much more important to end characteristics and quality of the beer.

After your cooldown, take a gravity reading before you add any top off water at all. This reading will be HIGHER than your expected OG. Then, slowly start to add top off water, stirring it LIKE CRAZY. Gravity is a measure of density (relative to water), so if you don't mix the water thoroughly, you won't get an accurate gravity reading. The oxygen you produce while stirring is also very good for yeast health once you pitch your yeast.

When you are 1/2 gallon or so from the 5 gallon mark, take another gravity reading. It is not uncommon for you to hit your OG a good 0.2-0.5 gallons BEFORE the 5 gallon mark, but it is better to come up short and have the proper OG than it is to go PAST the OG and have watered down beer.

Anyway, stop adding top off water when you hit your OG reading, which may or may not be the full 5 gallons. Your beer will be better for it.

+1 This is the way to do it. I accomplish it by recirculating my wort during and after chilling using my March pump. You could just as easily do it with a mixing paddle on a cordless drill. Starting with the proper OG is far more important than having 5 gallons in the carboy. I design my recipes for 5.5 gallon batches in hopes of kegging 5 gallons...sometimes it actually works out that way :)

EDIT: Of course full boils help greatly with this

I would urge you instead of topping off to reach an arbitrary VOLUME, like the 5 gallons, to top off to hit your recipe's original gravity (OG).

During my first year of brewing partial boils on the stove top, I noticed the syrupy flavor people describe. I made a Scottish Wee Heavy that was like chugging right from the malt extract jug. I also had a devil of a time getting original gravity readings after "mixing" the extra 2+ gallons of fresh water after the boil.

So I built a fire pit in my back yard this summer to brew full boils. And I mean :eek: FULL BOIL!! :eek: I found an 8 gallon canning pot for free and experimented by measuring volume loss during boiling. Since the mouth of the pot is so wide, the surface area is much greater and I lose a lot of steam.

My last batch was a Bavarian Lager (extract kit). I started with 7 gallons of water, plus the 1/2. gal of malt extract and still ended up with less than 5 gallons of wort. The upshot is, the original gravity was 1.053 over an expected 1.049 and final gravity turned out to be 1.011 instead of 1.012.

I just put it in to lager and it smells amazing (tastes even better). I have to ask at this point, is there any harm in making a stronger beer than you intended? Aside from the fact that the gravity is off the recipe specs and the volume was less than I expected, is there any reason to top off a batch?

I'm enough of a noob that I trust the beer to teach me what is right. :p

Back