Counterflow chiller disaster, maybe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnichols

Reaction score
Ok so I built a counterflow chiller that worked really well during a test run with boiling water.

Today I decided to brew an Irish Stout, everything went smoothly until it was time to chill the wort. Disaster struck and I panicked. The wort started to flow nicely then it would not flow through the chiller. It got clogged up horribly. Man what a mess.

I had to blow though tubing most likely blasting all sorts of baterial nasties into the fermented. I ended up pouring the wort back into the brew kettle and bringing to a boil. Then filtering the wort and running through chiller again. Again it clogged. It finally trickled through and I was able to pitch the wort.

I know beer is resilient but I think I may need a miracle on this one.

Anyone have similar disasters?

I'm assuming you have a spigot on the kettle. Make sure to whirlpool after flame out and let it settle for about 15 minutes. It should be smooth sailing. Also, make sure to prime it. I always start with the chiller filled with sanitizer.

I feel you about using new equipment for the first time. I did a test run with my new shirron heat exchanger, and everything went well on that test run. I was still nervous about using it on my first batch, but it ended up working out. So keep your head up and give it another shot.

I use whole hops and a false bottom with mine. Never had a problem except for the time I forgot do put the false bottom in.:drunk:

-a.

r8rphan said:
Are you using hops bags, or just tossing the hops directly in the boil?

Just tossed in boil. I just saw a cool DIY hop filter project on these forums. Thats what I am building next!

slomo said:
I feel you about using new equipment for the first time. I did a test run with my new shirron heat exchanger, and everything went well on that test run. I was still nervous about using it on my first batch, but it ended up working out. So keep your head up and give it another shot.

Ok its bubbling. Now the waiting game begins....

Back