Keezer question - leaking water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bommarkm

Reaction score
I bought a new 5 cuft chest freezer at Lowe's two weeks ago and am using the standard Johnson temp controller. I moved the chest freezer this morning and noticed the carpet under it was wet. Is this something that could have been caused because I am using a temp controller or should I return the freezer. I haven't altered the freezer yet so I can still return it.
I just didn't know if the water problem was something to expect?

Thanks, Kerry

Was the freezer running before you moved it? Sounds to me like it is just defrosting some ice buildup.

When you unplugged the freezer to move it, the ice melted and made water puddle. Even with the external thermostats you can have ice build-up inside. I combat this with a can of damp-rid in the chest freezer - I have never had to defrost since.

you haven't modified the freezer, which means you're using picnic taps?? and constantly opening and closing the lid in the state of missouri??

I'm planning on working on the collar this week. I just started kegging and put my creation in a keg a couple days ago. I've only used the freezer for keg storage so I haven't been opening and closing the lid.
I plugged it in for a couple of days to make sure it worked and then added the johnson control. I'm thinking that maybe the increase in temperature caused water to leak? I didn't think there would be an ice buildup after a couple of days but I'm hoping that was what did it.

Back