Graham's English Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to secondary at 25 days, OG 1.056, SG 1.017, now to sit for another month or so till clear. A care bear could live in this cloud
View attachment 193523

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks nice. I'm about a week ahead of you. Mine was about this cloudy when I racked over to secondary. It's pretty clear at this point. Only difference is my gravity was down to 1.000 at secondary

I poured onto an existing ale yeast cake. Don't remember which brand, not s-04, so maybe it was a bit weak. Either way, tastes pretty good now, but should be even better with age

Again, great recipe. Some experiments:

1st batch: Exact recipe, using organic cider from Whole Foods grocery. My favorite so far, though expensive. Thin, simple, and tart.

2nd batch: Subbed for cheaper juice, with a 1/2 gallon of blueberry pomegranate juice. Not bad, some friends liked it more than the first, though it was heavier, and obviously had a more complex flavor.

3rd batch: I used a combination of different commercial apple juices and ciders, trying to get the same amount of sediment and cloudiness I'd had with my first batch of organic cider on the cheap. It was okay, but I think that whatever processing they did made some of the sugar inaccessible, it was heavier, tasted more strongly of apples, and remains cloudy.

4th batch: I used cheap juice, but subbed Kolsch yeast. This seemed to take forever to reach FG, and burped a lot of sulfur (that's what Kolsch yeast does, I guess. For the first month or so in bottle, it was undrinkable, I couldn't get past the sour, sulfury smell and taste. But after that passes, it became my second favorite. Thin, clear, and crisp like the original with organic cider, retaining a hint of apple nose, and a little too tart. I may try this again with NO added acid, the Kolsch yeast sours it plenty.

5th batch: I used S-05 instead of S-04 yeast on cheap juice. This has only been in bottle about a month, and it tastes a little TOO thin, with barely any apple nose and taste at all. It's drinkable (I suppose they all have been), but it's kind of bland. I think the S-04 adds some fruity esters that enhance the apple. Maybe given a little time it will improve. It'll have plenty of time to age, since it's not all that tasty it won't be in the rotation that much.

I'm still chasing the dragon of my first batch. Maybe it wasn't so good after all, but I remember it being so light and crisp and fresh, nothing else seems to compare. I've got another batch with 4 gallons of cheap juice and a gallon of 1.050 sugar water, I'm hoping that this thins it out a bit. Failing that, I'll go back to the original recipe for the next batch.

Thanks again to the OP.

I've had repeated good results using Members Mark AJ from Sams and bumping it 20 pts using inverted sugar/AJ, 5 tsp of super ferment, Notty for a nice slow ferment, and then 1 tsp of malic, and K-meta and sulfate when FG hits around 1010 or so.

Interesting nuances from batches that:
1. I failed to successfully cold crash in the fridge
2. added a heating belt to in order to raise the temp to 65 while fermenting
3. used an old package of Notty

The heating belt batch was very slow to ferment out, retained a delicious apple nose and flavor, and then developed a hint of truffle - really the most raved about and terrific with dinner. I'm getting a nice clear cider, too. Most batches have been 2-3 months in primary/secondary. I'm about to bottle some still product that has been 6 months in process and appears to have gone through MLF. Should be interesting.

Yes sir. This is good stuff.

Just transferred my batch to the secondary. Poured what was left on the yeast cake into a glass, and holy moley, it was delicious...cannot wait to see what this is like after a few more months!

Gravity was around 1.002 at transfer.

Total cider newbie here - and patience isn't my forte - BUT I have had this in primary for one month - and as of tomorrow it will have been in secondary for 2 months. So...I'm ready to bottle and have a question about priming - mainly can I prime with something besides priming sugar and have it turn out just as tasty and with similar level of carbonation? I've done a bit of research and it looks like folks have primed with apple juice concentrate with success. Is this an okay idea for this particular recipe - and do you just dump in the can of concentrate? I don't have priming sugar on hand - so am wondering about other options. Though, I've been patient this long, I guess I will wait if there are downsides to using other priming methods. Thanks for any input!

If you want it to be a dry cider use the priming sugar. If you use the concentrate you'll get a sweeter cider but will have to pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs.

I would be interested in making this at a lower OG to end up with a final ABV of <5%. Should I just swap one of the gallons of juice for a gallon of spring water?

I would be interested in making this at a lower OG to end up with a final ABV of <5%. Should I just swap one of the gallons of juice for a gallon of spring water?

Not sure what the OG will be, but that makes sense to me!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Bottled this today after 3 months since pitching. Super clear, dry, and tangy. Used an extra ounce of corn sugar to prime. Very much looking forward to cracking open one of these in a month!

Hey - would it make a difference if you added the tea/lime in the secondary fermentation, or even post-fermentation?

Hey - would it make a difference if you added the tea/lime in the secondary fermentation, or even post-fermentation?

Hmmm, might get more pronounced tannins and citric acid bite from adding later, especially post-conditioning since it spends so long in the secondary.

I just opened my first bottle from a batch I made in April following Freezeblade's recipe (adding lime and tea to fermentor). It had a nice complexity in flavor and aroma that was a good counterpoint to the tart apples.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409759589.015415.jpg

Brewed this at end of April, racked off yeast at end of May. Three months bulk aging makes for a nice clear cider! Great taste as of now (at bottling), maybe slightly on the acidic side for my tastes (recipe called for three key limes or one regular lime for five gallons... I used one small lime (key lime sized, but regular lime, if that makes sense) for three gallons - so maybe I used too much lime?). I'm hoping once it's carbonated it will be balanced out better, and of course more aging should help! Great apple flavor and astringency from the tea...

Just cracked my first bottle of this stuff, pitched May 19th/14. Only been bottled for 2 weeks, but it tastes great!

I'm going to follow this recipe today, yeast and all. I have 6.5 gal carboys, so I guess that it's ok to top off secondary with 1.5 gals juice?

Kegged after 25 days in primary fermenter (Nottingham yeast fermented at 64° F for 7 days then gradual ramp up to 70° F, then cold-crashed for 5 days). Crystal clear and tastes fantastic, no sulpher or other off-flavors at all. Currently carbing up to 3 vols. I backsweetened with a 16oz can of concentrate, though it hardly needs it.

Will be interesting to see if the taste changes or improves over the coming months sitting in the keg (if it lasts that long), but it tastes wonderful as-is so to anyone put off by the 6-month aging time recommended in the original recipe, if you control your fermentation temps appropriately and cold crash it tastes (and looks) great after only a few weeks! [This timeline applies only to "clear" juice like Motts or Tree Top as recommended by the OB -- the one time I cidered with fancier unfiltered juice, it took months to clear and didn't taste appreciably better at the end of it, so I'm sticking with the cheap stuff from here on out]

Started 6 gallons of a similar one on 10/13/14. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration.

-5.5 gallons of Aldi's Apple Juice
-3 12 oz. cans of apple juice concentrate
- juice of 2 limes
- 5 English Breakfast tea bags
-2 Tablespoons of SuperFerment (1 tsp per gallon suggested)
-Safale S-04

Bubbling away nicely at 65F.

OG 1.056

I have returned from a deployment and could not wait to get the kegs filled up. I brewed two ales (nut brown and a blonde). Well that was not enough and I got excited and did this cider. Pitched it on 20 Nov 2014 per OP. I then was notified that I will be moving to Germany! :mug: :ban: :mug: Great news but I now have 5 Gals of cider that I expected to drink next Thanksgiving that must be gone or bottled by 15 Jan.

Anyone have any good ideas on getting it drank by the time I am wheels up to Germany?

For fun I made a batch of cider without additives except sugar to bump my OG to 1060; Members Mark cider from Sam's, table sugar (added to AJ and let dissolve), some Notty (and, of course yeast nutrient). Primary for 6 weeks, racked into secondary and I let it sit..and sit..about 9 months. I think it went through MLF - it started to bubble again after 4 months. A year later, I racked it into a keg. The pre rack cider was almost insipid; very very faint fruit. I decided to add the Tea/Lime brew to the keg (and I did not strain the lime juice) just to see what that would do.

WOW! loads of apple nose after a month or so. The faint truffle is there too. A bit bitter since I failed to filter the lime pith and pulp that came from the squeeze (note to self; filter this next time). Really shows the value of the tea/lime additive.

This is a terrific recipe. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I did a batch using store brand juice that didn't have added citric acid.....will that make it taste better sooner ? That is will it reduce the conditioning/aging time required to have an acceptable cider? Yeast is S-04.

Also, no yeast nutrients so I added a couple ounces of raisins to the tea ... Should I consider adding proper nutrients in a coupple-few days?

Thanks, I picked some up. I'm closing on the 1 week mark and it is bubbling steadily still (3-4 burps a min) with no foul odors. I think I'll add just a bit (perhaps the 1 gallon dose) and see how it does.

how many yeast nutrients should i use per 5 gallons?
i'm going to buy LD Carlson for these.

label saying "1 tsp per gallon", but description saying "Use 1/2-3/4 grams per gallon (1/2 tsp per 5 gallons)"

Tasted my 1.000 hydro sample after transferring to secondary @ ~30 days -WOW!! This is good:)

Giant Eagle juice with no added acid....followed the recipe but added 2 (1 oz) snack packs of raisins (boiled with the tea/lime water) to the primary - then 1 tsp nutrients about a week later... Did I say WOW!? I'll probably let it hang another week or three - until my next batch of beer is ready to bottle.....how much sugar should I add to bottle carb? 4 oz?

I think I used right around 4 oz on my first batch; came out perfect!

I started this in mid July with generic juice, lime, tea, S04, and yeast nutrient. Was hoping it would be ready for a friends wedding in November. Kegged after 3 months. It was still pretty sour when the wedding came around, so I sweetened with a few containers of frozen concentrate. It was ok, but my pumpkin ale went over much better.

There was a couple of gallons left, so I just put it in my kegerator to age. After 7 months, it has just now mellowed into a fantastic cider. Patience pays off on this one. I've never had a commercial cider this dry and smooth.

This is crystal clear for me after 4 weeks in the primary. Should I bother with a secondary?

This is crystal clear for me after 4 weeks in the primary. Should I bother with a secondary?

I gather that one use for the secondary is to get it into a smaller carboy to reduce oxygen absorption while it ages. Once primary fermentation finishes, the blanket of CO2 will start mixing with oxygen.

I don't think the yeast cake is much concern for a good while.

4 weeks is a lot faster than mine took to clear. At that point, Mine was just starting to clear at the top.

I just made a batch of this..or...very similar. Different yeast and added some sugar.

2.5 gal Apple Juice
1/2 lb Sugar in the raw
juice of 1/2 lime + 2 Constant Comment (orange spiced black tea) bags steeped in 16 oz water
1/4 tsp DAP
1 packet Cooper's Ale Yeast.

OG = 1.05

The Cooper's yeast was pretty old, but in about 8 hours it started to form on top and after ~48 hr had a nice big krausen. KRAUSEN!! I have made about 12 batches of Apfelwein type ciders, but always with Wine yeasts. This is the first time I have used an Ale Yeast. Not used to seeing a Krausen with my ciders! Looking forward to tasting this. Not sure the orange/spice flavor will come through from the tea, but it should add more tannin.

Thanks for the recipe!!

Update: This is the craziest ferment I ever saw!!! It is quite cold in the basement (56 deg F) so I have the carboy near the boiler, so it probably gets up to at least 65 or more in that corner. Maybe it is the cycling of the burner and the swings in temperatures that confuses the yeast, but I started with a slow ferment with krausen. The krausen didn't really fall but has been replaced with a layer of foam, and now the airlock is getting more activity and the yeast have colonized the carboy. With wine yeasts I NEVER see this behavior, and when I make ales, the krasusen rises/falls and then things look pretty static. Never seen foam like this before. Just glad I left a lot of headspace!!

This stuff was good fresh in the bottles.....then it wasn't so great....now about 5 months in it is improving again -- to the point of being pretty darn good...I imagine it will be really good on another month or two if it lasts that long :)

Back