Where can I find people to brew with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croba50

Reaction score
i am getting geared up to start brewing for my 3rd year in a row but i cant fine anyone that would brew with i do have one friend that had a bad batch and said the h--l with it and never brewed again. and another friend that does not have a place to brew or store the wort during fermatation stage. so i dont know my son and i brew but hes not old enought to enjoy the end product. hes only 12 (i start him early)lol :)

croba50 said:
man i wished i had people like you guys in my area to brew with its allways fun brewing with 2 or 3 guys and making 2 or more batches at the same time .

i am getting geared up to start brewing for my 3rd year in a row but i cant fine anyone that would brew with i do have one friend that had a bad batch and said the h--l with it and never brewed again. and another friend that does not have a place to brew or store the wort during fermatation stage. so i dont know my son and i brew but hes not old enought to enjoy the end product. hes only 12 (i start him early)lol :)

Where are ya? You could search around (ask at your LHBS) for a good homebrew club.

i lost my hbs i im or was in there localtion with my store ....
there is not a store around me anymore well within 50 miles anyway i get all my stuff online . and most of my friends eather dont like mirco beers of dont care to try them or just dont have the time.

it sad to say that but it true...................

i have been brewing for 3 years and 1 year was with the hbs 20 miles from my house i was there once a week getting idems of need or want. now i have to get online. and hope i get good stuff. i try to get friends involved in brewing or even come over and taste test with me .guys will test the beer but when the beer gone hay you need to make another batch of that but never try them selfs

i tell them its easy to brew .....and i have only had i batch go bad out of 15 not bad but it was when i was helping a friend on his batch. thats the batch that went bad.
so he does not want to make another batch because 1 went bad..............

iam in freeport il near rockford illinois 28 miles west of rockford.

well, look at it this way...more for you! my HBS is about 110 miles away, so i know what you mean. we make day trips out of it. hit the hbs, hit a brewpub, hit a tap house, then swerve home! ;~)
stick with it. by the time your son can partake, you'll be a certified brew master :~)

ya i know its online ordering and hopefuly i get good stuff.
i got a place in minnsota that i deal with now and thay are good i told him about a problem in shipping he sent me out another kit right away and over nighted it so i would have by brew day last year. i got the kit on friday the kit that was lost i got on monday called him to return it and he said keep the kit for all the problems. so the next week i called him up and ordered my keging kit . and 2 spaire kegs .

I made a suggestion to the admins on the board that they start up regional brew boards on here... figured it be kinda cool, no matter if ti was state by state, region by region, or what have you... Still havent heard anything back though

Hey Matt Frew --

Do you live in the city? I live in Ontario County and brew with a couple of guys in this area. Yeah, we are new to home brewing, but are always looking for more people to share info with...

If you have extra space, why not have your friend that doesn't have space come over & brew with you? You could alternate buying fixin's. In California, I brewed with a guy that lived 50 miles away & we would make a day of it with brewing, BBQ and dinner. He'd monitor the fermentations & I'd just take my share home in cornies when they were done.

How about any of these....

ILLINOIS
Champaign-Urbana: B.U.Z.Z. (Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots)
Chicago: Chicago Beer Society
DuPage County: Urban Knaves of Grain
Decatur: CIBA (Central Illinois Brewers' Association)
North Suburbs: B.A.B.B.L.E.
Palatine: Club Wort
Rockford: Forest City Brewers www.forestcitybrewers.org
Bridgeport: HOPS (Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside)
Rock Island: M.U.G.Z. (Mississippi Unquenchable Grail Zymurgists)

???????? :confused:

ALPS said:
Hey Matt Frew --

Do you live in the city? I live in Ontario County and brew with a couple of guys in this area. Yeah, we are new to home brewing, but are always looking for more people to share info with...

FUUU*** no, thank god! I live in Rottenfester..... and acually I'll be in your neck fo the woods in a week and a few days for work... gonna be brewing? I'll be in Dewitt between the 5th and the 9th of December, and more htan willing to help brew.

give me a call on my personal cell, since Im on the company dime, i'm willing to travel. 585-738-1049

Beermaker said:
How about any of these....

ILLINOIS
Champaign-Urbana: B.U.Z.Z. (Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots)
Chicago: Chicago Beer Society
DuPage County: Urban Knaves of Grain
Decatur: CIBA (Central Illinois Brewers' Association)
North Suburbs: B.A.B.B.L.E.
Palatine: Club Wort
Rockford: Forest City Brewers www.forestcitybrewers.org
Bridgeport: HOPS (Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside)
Rock Island: M.U.G.Z. (Mississippi Unquenchable Grail Zymurgists)

???????? :confused:

i was thinking the hbs started that club in rockford and the presdent was the owner. so i never tried to get into the club......thanks i will have to try them. :)

FrewBrew said:
FUUU*** no, thank god! I live in Rottenfester..... and acually I'll be in your neck fo the woods in a week and a few days for work... gonna be brewing? I'll be in Dewitt between the 5th and the 9th of December, and more htan willing to help brew.

give me a call on my personal cell, since Im on the company dime, i'm willing to travel. 585-738-1049

No, not NYC!! I meant the city of Rochester, cause there are a lot of suburbs. I'm working on South Clinton Ave, corner of Averil. South Wedge area. Right near McGregors. Mmmmm.... beer... I stop there about twice a month after work, around 5:00 or so. Great selection on tap.

And hey, Rochester ain't so bad. lots to do around the area.

Dewitt?? Isn't that Syracuse? Thats an hour away... I'm just south of Rochester

croba50 said:
i was thinking the hbs started that club in rockford and the presdent was the owner. so i never tried to get into the club......thanks i will have to try them. :)

I'd brew with you, but I'm still a good 90 minutes from R-Ford. I just pulled a sample of my oatmeal from the primary. Still a lot of yeast sitting on top, but not bad. The chocolate flavors are really starting to shine through.

ALPS said:
No, not NYC!! I meant the city of Rochester, cause there are a lot of suburbs. I'm working on South Clinton Ave, corner of Averil. South Wedge area. Right near McGregors. Mmmmm.... beer... I stop there about twice a month after work, around 5:00 or so. Great selection on tap.

And hey, Rochester ain't so bad. lots to do around the area.

Dewitt?? Isn't that Syracuse? Thats an hour away... I'm just south of Rochester

heh, LeRoy. work in Greece, and at Marketplace on the weekends. I go out to the MacGreggors in henrietta every friday night after my buddy gets out of sears at 930. I love drinking a new pitcher every time I go.

Cheesefood said:
I'd brew with you, but I'm still a good 90 minutes from R-Ford. I just pulled a sample of my oatmeal from the primary. Still a lot of yeast sitting on top, but not bad. The chocolate flavors are really starting to shine through.

there are people in illinois that brew

what type of brewing do you do all grain mash or standard kits.....
i havent tried all grain but would like to learn. i do hear it better tasting beer.
not that st kits are not good tasting this last summer i did not brew 1 weekend and it made me mad. my job took up all the time ......
so my beer is running out and i need to get brewing
will not have ready by christmas but thats ok.

thank for the offer i might have to take you up on that.......

homebrewer_99 said:
You let your job interfere with brewing? Shame on you!

I've been on the road 20 weeks so far this year and have brewed 19 batches!

i work from 9:00 till 9:00pm every day of the week then some nights till 12:00 am
and the nights i got off early my sons are in boyscouts and was there cubmaster..... and then weekends what a pain. put a roof on deck , the bad thing i never moved my boat this year thats a pain.

between work/scouts/ & my honey do list . i did not get much brewing done.
my partner i could of killed ( he messed up all the paper work and all my time was spent fixing his f--k up) us gov. dont like me right now....
he lost some papers for the taxes so i was fixing that problem 782 invoices
had to recrate after that was done i had the wrong tax listed so 782 again.
took 8 weeks to get done.then i found an error in payroll so i had to fix that as well. he did not have time to help me he said so i did all myself.

all in all it got done on my expance/ but if i would not have we would be in jail or something like that.

man if i got paid for all the hours i spent man i would be rich. :mad: still make me mad...........................................................................

That's pretty busy. I know what you mean...I've redone all (but 3) the room's in my house (2800+ SF) in less than 1.5 years. It takes me 5 hours to mow my 2+ acres on a riding tractor.

I am currently laying tile in one of the bathrooms upstairs. I cut them yesterday and laying today. My wife wants to start tearing off wall paper and such on the 2nd of 3 bathrooms. I tild her not to touch it until everything is done in the other room.

I wanted to put up some drywall (3 sheets to finish my brewing kitchen in the basement) today, but I'll probably just have time to bottle a batch of beer later this afternoon.

I already spent 20 weeks on the road and I'm off again next week for another 2 weeks. Because of my constant traveling I had to contract out my roofing (May) and siding (June). I redid the entire kitchen countertops, built-ins, sink, disposal, etc. Laid laminate flooring in 3 rooms.

All of our kids are grown, married, and most importantly...out of the house! :D

The house is almost done...I feel your pain, brother... :D

i have 3 lovely kids 1 /12 hes the one that helps me 1 /4 and 1 /2
2 boys 1girl there all a hand full at times but it fun .

there all at my feet when i do get home this year at work will be easer my wife is doing all the paper work for this year so the taxes get done on time.
monday i am fileing my 2004 taxes we finly got them done last week.

Frankly, I think after the first of the year, we should plan a day where all of us No Illinois people get together and brew. I live in Crystal Lake, about 40 mins from Rockford. I know a bunch of guys in the area from another forum that are always ready for a day of brewing.
Also croba50, check out the Forrest City club, if you can, they're a pretty good bunch of guys and have some pretty darned good brewers too!! Oh, and that list didnt have the Midnight Carboys Brewclub listed, they're/we're out of Crystal Lake.

homebrewer_99 said:
Congrats! Who needs jail time?

That would really put a crimp in your brewing schedule.

Your kids sound great. Our "little ones" are now 4 greatgrandkids. Ages 5 to just born in July.

hay new note he closed the place down on thursday of this last week
now if you look at my new web site (we are getting a new store and it should be open with in a week.) www.cctdirect.com
the new store is (compleat computer tech) or cct for short.

he is going to jail if i see to it but i should be free and no problem i am not an owner of the company the guy never got the paper work done......lol

i glad this guy is an a--hole ................ everything paper work wise was going to get done last week so i could get my a-s in trouble ....he told me the paper work was filed 1 year ago but it was not( ha ha ) now he is in for all the brunt of what the irs is going to do......

subwyking said:
There isn't one in Nebraska :(
There are HBC's in Nebraska, they just aren't listed where you looked. I know I saw a write up on the Lincoln club in a recent BYO.

If you can't find one, you and loopmd should get together and start one...I've got a BIL who lives there...he'd probably join in.

BeeGee said:
They're all more creative than I am, especially with just two cups of coffee so far. Maybe a homebrew would help more.
Yes, a homebrew always makes me think I'm creative...not to mention funny, smart, invisible, and bulletproof. :D

I have known of a few community colleges having classes on brewing. But, have not heard of any actually having the lab portion to the cirruculum.

Back