Beer Taste at Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
OK, so I have started tasting my beer at all stages.
I just got to bottling my first higher alcohol beer - a bock that is coming in at about 9% or so.
I tasted it and it tastes like lighter fluid.
I mean... it tastes like pure alcohol.
The fermentation is done, so it's been primed and bottled as of right now.. .but WOW that was harsh.
Assuming this will mellow in the bottle and the higher alcohol beers should taste like that?
hah

You can expect some harsh alcohol flavors and aromas in a 9% beer that is very young, so don't sweat it. If you want to keep trying them, just to see how it progresses, I suggest tasting no more often than once each month. Since I've done my own tasting adventures, I wouldn't even think of trying it out again for at least three months, but you probably would enjoy the educational experience.

TL

The second beer I ever brewed was a Belgian Triple. I still have a few bottles, because it is still too harsh. I'm gonna age them for a year and try one. (February 2009).

Back