Converting All Grain to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little info on how to convert all-grain recipes to extract recipes. I love brewing and just don't have the extra scratch to drop on the equipment for All Grain/Full Mash/whatever-you-prefer-to-call-it at the moment. I have seen that some people talk about how they have used a calculator for the conversion...how do I do this? I have seen a few recipes on here that I really want to try (the Bell's Two-Hearted, for example) but just don't know how to convert.

Download Beersmith.

http://beersmith.com/

Get the free trial. There you can create an all-grain recipe, or load one in and then convert it to an extract recipe. Thats the easiest way I would know of doing it.

Also start looking into making your own system. I just made an all grain system for $120, just got to know what your doing and its really not that expensive.

Thanks for the tips, guys! How did you make an all grain system for so little money? Those "false bottom" pots alone are ridiculous!

All you need to get started is a heat source Ala Turkey fryer for 50 bucks and a mash tun with a manifold or braid, this can be done for around the same. False bottoms are nice but not anything you have to have. If you're handy at all there are lots of ways to get into all grain cheap.

The info you guys have provided thus far is great. I checked out the deathbrewer method and that seems very promising. I'm interested to find out more about what EuBrew was talking about also. As for the heat source, my buddy who I normally brew with has access to a propane burner, so we're all set there. I am curious about this a "mash tun with a manifold or braid", not sure what that is. I am definitely handy, so I'm confident that I can pull off these non-false bottom methods with a bit of help from you guys!

Back