Dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbrew

Reaction score
I just racked from primary to secondary and i am dry hopping my IPA with 1 oz columbus and i was wondering if i should do this in my cooler at the same temperature as my fermentation ( which was 68 degrees) or at room temp

I would leave it at 68 degrees if it were me. Your warmer temp would impart the dry hop characteristics a little quicker, but I like to keep my fermentation temps pretty constant.

If you can raise it to room temp and keep it within 2-3 degrees at all times, then I'd suggest upping the temp.

i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.

Dogphish said:
i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.

Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?

Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?

I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.

Yooper said:
I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think i will keep dryhopping at my original ferment temperature. Thanks!

Back