Oak chips In Secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse

Reaction score
I've been making beer, wine , and mead for a few years now. I've always added oak chips in secondary when still fermenting. Well, for some reason i added more oak after ending the yeast's life.... About 2 months after adding some sorbate while bulk aging. (too lazy to bottle a 15 gallon batch). About an hour later i went to check out everything and noticed some bubbles on top..Got me to thinkin' Oh **** oxygen.I did dump 10 campden tablets when i added the oak. I guess what I'm asking is does any body Know how much o2 is in Oak chips??? I think next time I'll soak them in a sulfite solution before putting in finished wine.

I read to boil the oak chips for 10 minutes before adding and I've never had a problem doing that it also removes a bit of the harsher tannins, Ken

+1 on the steam. For my Oak Aged Bourbon Porter, I soak them in the bourbon for a few days then toss the whole bit into the secondary.

Back