Bottling a Brett infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassy_mollassy

Reaction score
So my chocolate oatmeal stout developed a Brett infection. I don't really want a Brett beer, but I don't want to throw it out either. A couple of questions:

Can I add anything to kill the Brett? Potassium Metabisulfite?

If I can't kill the Brett, how can I bottle it without getting bottle bombs? The current gravity is at 1018. Is this too high to bottle? Should I let it sit in the secondary for a while, letting the Brett eat all the remaining sugar and then bottle?

How did it get contaminated?

Sorry, I can't help with your question. I'm just getting into brewing this type of beer and have no experience, but want to know what problems can arise (such as cross contamination) and how.

If there is Brett in there at 1.018, yes, that is too high to bottle. Brett will chew through the normally unfermentables and dry out the beer significantly. It will take some time.

I believe the Potassium Metabisulfite will do the trick, how is your flavor though? I'm not a wine maker, but I believe that's how they kill the wild Brett in the first place. Of course, after using campden tablets, you will need to re-pitch yeast if you plan to bottle condition.

Just a note, I have never used campden tablets, so I wouldn't know the correct dose.

How do you know it's Brett?

It's developed a silky white film on top of the beer, that looks exactly like some of the other picture of a Brett contamination on this site. So that's why I'm guessing it's a Brett contamination.

The flavor is pretty good so far. There is a very slight sour smell and taste that I think might be the Brett.

If I do use camden tablets to try and get rid of the Brett, will the new yeast be able to survive? Do I need to wait for the sulfite levels to drop before adding new yeast and bottling?

As far as what caused this contamination, I guess I got sloppy with my sanitizing practices. I've had about a dozen batches so far and this is the first with any contamination.

It's developed a silky white film on top of the beer, that looks exactly like some of the other picture of a Brett contamination on this site. So that's why I'm guessing it's a Brett contamination.

The flavor is pretty good so far. There is a very slight sour smell and taste that I think might be the Brett.

If I do use camden tablets to try and get rid of the Brett, will the new yeast be able to survive? Do I need to wait for the sulfite levels to drop before adding new yeast and bottling?

As far as what caused this contamination, I guess I got sloppy with my sanitizing practices. I've had about a dozen batches so far and this is the first with any contamination.

once you use the camden tablets, wait at least 24 hours before pitching more yeast and I believe you will be fine... IF you are kegging, I think I would be tempted to try potassium sorbate along with the camden then force carb... BUT I am a newb and just thinking out loud sooooo.

Latest posts

Back