Best way to apply labels.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I do not want to use a sticky label paper or glue.... It is a pain in the a** to soak and then scrape labels off to sanitize before you bottle the next time...
I know you can soak them in Oxy clean and the labels will come off but still I would rather just use an alternative because then you have to get all that slimy Oxy Clean off as well...
I heard there was a really cool alternative?
The alternative that I'm speaking on is "milking the labels".
I heard one time that you can somehow use milk to adhere labels to bottles and then when you want to remove them you can just run some warm water and it comes off...

Has anyone heard of this and if so what is the procedure?

Yeah, just fill a plate with milk, lightly coat the back of the labels and stick them to the bottle. Works brilliantly.

psymonkey said:
Yeah, just fill a plate with milk, lightly coat the back of the labels and stick them to the bottle. Works brilliantly.

Does it leave any funny white residue or funky Elmers glue looking residue or anything like that?

psymonkey said:

Does it leave any funny white residue or funky Elmers glue looking residue or anything like that?

And what is the best paper to use, I would assume something not too thick?

Nope.. and more importantly, no sour milk odor or anything. It really a dreamy way to affix labels. Quick, easy, cheap and they come off easily.

Note that it can cause problems for some ink-jet printed labels.

psymonkey said:
Nope.. and more importantly, no sour milk odor or anything. It really a dreamy way to affix labels. Quick, easy, cheap and they come off easily.

Note that it can cause problems for some ink-jet printed labels.

So what kind of paper and what kind of printer do I want to do this with?
LaserJet as opposed to inkjet or what? And should I just try to find some thin computer paper?

Use milk all the time. Super easy. Also search for Knox gelatin. Dissolve a pack in hot water and it stays on even in ice water. Milk will come off when wet. Put Knox labels under hot water and comes right off.

sfrisby said:
Use milk all the time. Super easy. Also search for Knox gelatin. Dissolve a pack in hot water and it stays on even in ice water. Milk will come off when wet. Put Knox labels under hot water and comes right off.

Oh dude.... GREAT INFO! I will find that stuff on the next run! I'll try mike now just for the experience... :)

Regular copy paper

Laser printer (ink jet will run if wet or dripped on)

Fat free milk - no fats to worry about (aging)

Milk solids are an ancient type of glue - casein.

Back