Obligatory Newbie Krausen check..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterShake

Reaction score
well I posted my mishaps in this thread , but here are pics of my Krausen almost 30hrs into it.

beer014.jpg

beer016.jpg

It is a Saison usng Wyest French Saison yeast.

Does this look ok to you?? I've never seen a healthy Krausen..so I don't know.

you're good. minus the infection running all through it.

Just kidding. :) That's pretty. Enjoy it!

literally 2 hours ago I had a nice foamy top with tiny little bubbles, now I have these huge ones..I was almost in shock how quickly it transformed...

Literally I can sit next to the fermenter watching this all day and I wont get bored.

The only thing is I am worried about infection

Thats about as sexy a krausen as you can ask for...

and yes, once you get a nice pipeline going, the waiting is a lot easier.

hmm. thanks guys. The bigger bubbles are much smaller today and it starting to smell like....green apple...?

This is why I always recommend a wheat or some type of brew that can be consumed fairly young, patience is tough to come buy when you are watching yeast work.

hmm. thanks guys. The bigger bubbles are much smaller today and it starting to smell like....green apple...?

green apple = acetylaldehyde, the yeast will clean that up after they consume all the sugars... if you can smell it, it's too much, so be sure to let the yeast hang out a while after fermentataion is complete.

i've seen the big bubbles with a few belgian yeast strains i've used, no worries on em.

green apple = acetylaldehyde, the yeast will clean that up after they consume all the sugars... if you can smell it, it's too much, so be sure to let the yeast hang out a while after fermentataion is complete.

i've seen the big bubbles with a few belgian yeast strains i've used, no worries on em.

this makes sense it hasn't been even 48hrs after I pitched the yeast. So I am sure its only starting to ferment now.

When I brewed my first wheat, the krausen was almost white or off-white, then I brewed up a Belgian Golden Ale and the krausen was dark mustard/brown. Worried me at first but I'm guessing this is just a difference in the yeast used. American Hefeweizen vs. Belgian Trappist Ale

Latest posts

Back