My first doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginerd

Reaction score
I've never brewed anything this big or with so much Munich (70%) before, so I'll do my best to not turn this into a "did I ruin my beer?" thread.

O.G. of 1.082. It spent 2 months at 58*F. I just transferred to start a lager period (I was thinking at least 6 months, maybe a year - no rush). It's currently at 1.026. Maybe not as low as I had hoped, but I mashed at 155*F, so I can live with that attenuation. I hope this is enough info to answer my questions on the way the hydro sample tasted. Before, I've been able to get a good feel for what the beer is turning into by the hydro sample, but this one is differant.

It tasted a lot less like malt and a lot more like alcohol (not solventy or hot though) than I had expected. That should change over time, right?

In the past, I've only had one beer that I know was infected. It only took one sip to tell (actually two, I wanted to be sure before I dumped it). Is there such thing as a subtle infection? Would that change with time, too (better or worse)?

I'd love to hear about any experiences you've had with respect to making big, malty beers and the steps along the fermentation path.
Thanks

Probably just because it's undercarbonated and still young. I'm sure it's fine, after lagering for a few months. 1.026 is pretty good for a doppelbock I think, you want them to finish pretty high, and it may lose a few more points during lagering.

Back