Calling all stainless welders/experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they sanded or ground down the inside. Hopfully with a new tool this time It's not sanitary because there are cevices, but it doesn't need to be. Just spend 10 seconds extra. only time will tell if they rust if not. And really a tiny bit of surface rust isn't the end of the world. I would not scrap them unless the time it take to scrub them with bar keepers friend once in a while is worth more than the pots

I'm definitely not going to scrap them. But I will be tossing them up for sale. Not because I don't think they're viable - honestly they look a lot better minus the one issue you just brought up. But one of the bottom coupling is going to need to be cut out and rewelded because they hosed the threads inside and also because I've already committed to a new set of pots.

That's definitely much improved.

I did say that your pots aren't ruined, they just don't look professionally done.

I keep hearing sanitary, but the hot side of your brewery does not have to be.
Yes they still botched the job, but at least now it will be much easier to keep that area clean.

With a pipe tap you could fix the damaged threads, so no need to cut anything out.

If the price is right, someone less discerning will be happy to take them off your hands.

You did ask for a sanitary weld, right? That's not a sanitary weld, period. Whether it needs to be isn't part of the negotiation with your welder - you specified a sanitary weld on a pot and did not get what you asked for. I'd ask them to buy the pots off of you for what they cost plus what you paid them, and they can scrap them or sell them as they see fit.

As others have said those small creases should be a bother as it is on the hot side. If they do concern you you could look at filling them with silver solder.

You did ask for a sanitary weld, right? That's not a sanitary weld, period. Whether it needs to be isn't part of the negotiation with your welder - you specified a sanitary weld on a pot and did not get what you asked for. I'd ask them to buy the pots off of you for what they cost plus what you paid them, and they can scrap them or sell them as they see fit.

That's a very important point! You did ask for a sanitary/food grade weld, right? A lot of fabricators don't deal with this often and won't do it unless you ask. And it's probably not fair for an average shop to assume you wanted a purged weld. Remember, a lot of these folks aren't the most sophisticated.

I'm definitely not a pro, but I've TIGed a ton of stainless. I always back purge on stainless, even if it's just an exhaust manifold. For brew kettles, you could probably get away with solar flux. Again, I'm not a pro (I'm a white collar guy that taught myself to TIG by welding hundreds of razor blades edge on edge), but I could write a best practice spec if it's helpful to the group.

--Cheers, Chris

....Again, I'm not a pro (I'm a white collar guy that taught myself to TIG by welding hundreds of razor blades edge on edge), but I could write a best practice spec if it's helpful to the group.

--Cheers, Chris

I just think I found a use for all those DE razor blade I go through :) need to get myself a TIG set first though :(
The spec would be a huge help for those on here, this situation comes up quite often and it is usually because we don't know how to ask for what we need in a way that a welding shop can understand without any ambiguity. Having a spec that actually says setup the weld like this, back purge like this, etc. would be a major benifit for anyone on the forum that needs couplings welded to kettles!

Back