Straining the slug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesw801

Reaction score
Since I forgot to strain my brew while adding it to the fermenting carboy, will this effect the outcome of the fermentation and taste? I will be straining it when I add the brew to the secondary fermenting bucket. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Wes

I don't strain my wort going into the fermenter, and for over 300 batches it's worked well!

You also don't strain if you're going to a secondary. You will be siphoning ("racking") quietly to avoid any splashing or oxidation, with the tip of the siphon at the very bottom of the receiving vessel to avoid any changes of oxygen pick up.

I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") very often, and it's not needed, but when I do I found that just careful siphoning from the fermenter avoids any trub being transferred.

The heavier particles like proteins, hops debris, and even spent yeast will all fall to the bottom of the fermenter. If given a chance to sit for at least a few days after fermentation ends, this will form a pretty compact trub layer and you just siphon from above that into the bottling bucket or a clearing carboy if using one. If you ARE using a clearing vessel, it should be a carboy and not a bucket. A bucket has a very wide headspace, inappropriate for a clearing vessel.

It sounds like it's a bit backwards. The bucket is for primary, for fermentation, and the carboy is a clearing vessel.

I don't brew with slugs, but I would definitely strain them out if I did!

On a serious note, you don't need to strain your wort. All of the trub, sludge, and slugs will settle after fermentation is complete.

yeah, most stuff should drop to the bottom of the primary. Do Not strain into the secondary. Because everything will sink to the bottom of the primary you won't get much even if you do and you will definitely oxidize your beer. So unless you like beer that tastes like cardboard I wouldn't do it.

Stauffbier said:
I don't brew with slugs, but I would definitely strain them out if I did!

On a serious note, you don't need to strain your wort. All of the trub, sludge, and slugs will settle after fermentation is complete.

Haha! That's funny. I meant to type sludge, but thank you very much for the advise. I was nervous because the guy that taught the class I went to last Sunday strained the wort as he poured it into the fermenting carboy. I won't be straining the sludge to the secondary just using auto syphon. Thanks again for the reply

Thank you everyone for the reply. I feel better now about my first batch and it makes sense to not strain going into the secondary just syphon. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back