So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
82% mash efficiency
83% brewhouse

I am definitely getting the hang of this.

003.jpg

I got the thickest,creamiest hot break I've ever seen just a bit ago! Not much volume,but really heavy/creamy. Smells good,especially with the warrior bittering addition.
Kinda odd this time that,instead of gaining one degree,it went from 153F down to 149F over the one hour mash. Did everything the same as always too?...Sparge water temp was a healthy 167F for about 1 3/4 gallons. Gave a hair more wort for boil volume.
By the way,the thermo pen laser thing was ok,but not as good as I'd hoped it would be for checking sparge volume. Def changes around different parts of the kettle. And def DO NOT try it near the surface of the water. I accidentally dunked it just in the surface & got err2. ERROR?! ERROR?! Must anylize EERRRRORRREEEERRROOOORRR........:drunk:.........EEEERRRRROOOOORRRR!...
4:24PM*** I got an OG 1.061 at 4:06 & then pitched rehydrated US-05 on my IPA wort. already smelled good. Had a heck of a time straining the loose hop pellet gunk out. I did get a great smelling wort vy pitch time though. So maybe it does work a hair better than hop socks (which I'm starting to hate cleaning). Gotta get a 1G nylon paint strainer bag for a hop spyder.
Anyway,Since pitching on it @ 4:06pm,it pegged the airlock centerpiece against the cap @ 4:21pm! It was really fresh yeast,rehydrated in 400mL of tap water (still 70-80F this time of year usually). I got a temp of 68.4F with my Thermapen. That went up about .5 degree after 30 minutes or so.Huh...it bubbled once,how bout that?!

Made a Breakfast Stout yesterday evening while the tenant/roomates were doing their moving thing (1 out, 1 in). And boy am I glad I did. Without the brew therapy session I would probably have slapped the one who is sticking around.

I see I'm not the only one brewing with simcoe today. Saved .8oz of that & three others to dry hop my Cougar Country IPA when it's ready. That'll be 8.3 ounces of hops in this one. Just had to do yet another version of these New generation IPA's. They just smell & taste so good I had to. Wanted to re-brew my Maori IPA with fresher hops tomorrow morning...but momma has other plans. Maybe still get it in?...:mug: But for now,it's boilermaker time!

Got 87% efficiency on an oatmeal stout today, was not expecting that. Hope it's not too alcohol-y but rather thick and luscious. smelled great though. Going to pop a vanilla bean into it next week too, hope it's good!

Brewing on the weekend? Aint nobody got time fo dat!

Since I'm currently unemployed and seeking jobs, I decided to brew today since I've gotten no nibbles.

5.25 gals of Rogue Shakespeare Stout clone (from BYO recipe) but with London Ale III yeast instead of Pacman. Just finished milling the grains and damn does it smell good.

I've got 45 gallons in either primary or secondary. I need to bottle... not brew... That's what I keep telling myself anyway. I'd rather brew. What I need is an apprentice. Someone to clean, bottle, etc... just let me brew.

Will be brewing up my first Altbier this weekend. Also need to move my Helles to secondary and into the other fridge.

Going to brew a pumpkin and something for christmas this weekend...still figuring out the christmas one and then I need to check LHBS to see if they have everything.

Was going to re-brew my Maori IPA today,then found I'm shprt on ice & need another gallon of spring water. Gotta make a store run...I like getting the mash going early in the morning so I'm done by 3 or 4PM. Then I still have the energy to clean up & put everything away.

unionrdr said:
Was going to re-brew my Maori IPA today,then found I'm shprt on ice & need another gallon of spring water. Gotta make a store run...I like getting the mash going early in the morning so I'm done by 3 or 4PM. Then I still have the energy to clean up & put everything away.

Maori IPA? Sounds interesting. Could you tell me what that tastes like exactly? Thanks

It's an IPA of the new generation sort. Not just grapefruity hops anymore. This one uses all NZ hops. The flavor is light darkish malt flavor with The Herbal oaky tropical fruity flavors NZ hops are known for. The 3.2oz of chocolate malt gave it a dark amber/copper color. Hops were about 8 months old from the freezer though. This batch will use fresh hops. Tomorrow morning is Homebrew Humpday!
This new batch malt-wise,is a new PM base recipe for pale ales,IPA's & the like.
I replaced the 3.2oz of chocolate malt with 8ozs of melanoiden malt for a lighter,bit more reddish orange amber sort of color.
I posted the recipe for my Maori IPA on Beersmith's site under Partial Mash American IPA's. These new generation IPA's remind me more of an IPL,but with more flavor & color. Try Sam Adams Latitude 48 for an idea of what these new IPA's taste like. Think more sessionable. My recipes for IPA's always tended that way anyhow,so they suite me. And btw,Cooper's formula ranked it at a healthy 7.2%ABV...

Brewing a standard APA with Columbus and Centennial with my dad this weekend. Gonna show him how it's done. Will dry hop with more centennial. Need some quicker conditioning beers to drink in my pipeline after doing a RIS and Belgian Tripel back to back....em er gonna be my Holiday beers.

Hoping for delivery of a 3-keg beer fridge this Friday. If that goes through, I'll be making a Westmalle Tripel clone to pitch on the yeast cake from a Rare Vos clone. If that doesn't leave me too tired, I might also make a bitter.

Made apfelwein batch #5 today off the yeast cake/slurry adding 2 cinnamon sticks, brewing a strawberry (& something to be determined) blonde base, racking a strawberry blonde, and maybe starting a cider. Busy night!

Brewing the Belgian IPA recipe recently posted on the AHA website. I will be supplimenting the hops schedule with some of my dried cascades from this year.

Also transfering a SMASH (fresh cascades) APA to secondary and dry hopping as well as a semi-sweet cider onto 3 lbs of this year picked blackberries. Busy weekend!

Going with a Pumpkin Porter--OG 1.076, WL090 SD Super to chew through the malt, subtle spices, vanilla. My wife's favorite every year!

I brewd twice this week-last Sunday & yesterday. My new recipe-Cougar Country IPA,came in @ OG1.061 PM style. Yesterday's re-brew of my Maori IPA came in at OG1.074! Must got some really good efficiency. I even poured the top off water roughly,stirred roughly for 3 minutes straight as well. I did do a good hot sparge with a lil more than 1.5G of water on the 5.5lbs or so of grains. Even added the usual pound of demerara sugar per recipe.

Yoopers oatmeal stout! Have a friend coming over for his first brew. Hoping to light the burner in the next half hour. Unfortunately I came down with a cold/flu last night. This should get interesting. Hopefully I can think straight.

Brewing my first fresh hop ale. Going to use Cascade and Meridian freshies in a very simple malt bill.

Will be brewing my oktober(fes) ale. This will be my first AG batch. Also, my own recipe. The waiting to taste will be the hardest part!

Brewing 5 gallons of a French saison with wyeast 3711 pilsner 2row and acidulated.

First AG so well see how it turns out in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back