Decoction mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
So when you do a decoction mash you need to remove some of the mash and boil it. I've read you can boil the mash anywhere from 0 minutes to an hour or more. I've been boiling the decocted mash for about 15-20 minutes but I'm not really sure what is typical.

A more important question is when should the mash be removed for boiling. For example, if you have a rest at 150 for 30 minutes and then one at 163 for 30 minutes, do you wait the 30 at 150, then remove the mash and boil it? If you do that the remaining mash is going to be at 150 for an hour or more (30 min for the mash then at least 30 to boil the decocted portion). Or do you remove the mash to time it so the 30 minutes is up when the decocted portion is boiled and ready to be added back into the mash?

I've been using the first method but I'm worried that my wort is possibly ending up over-mashed.

One thing you want to make sure of is that you're resting the decoction in the upper 150's°F (like 158°F) for 10 minutes before boiling. Then you can boil it for at least 5 minutes (which is plenty). This timing accomplishes all the benefits you'd expect to get from the decoction. You may get more maltiness and a little darker color from boiling the decoction longer, but it's not neccessary.

Before pulling the decoction, let the mash rest for about 5 minutes, then pull the decoction. By the time your done heating/boiling the decoction, the main mash will have been at it's rest for plenty of time.

It only takes a couple minutes to bring the decoction(the stuff you take out) to a boil. You need to use the heat from the decoction to raise you mash temperature. So you would dough in to reach your first rest complete that rest, then take out 1 pint per gallon in the mash pot. Boil that then add it back to reach your next rest temperature. Dan brown also has detailed mash instructions in his book "Designing Great Beers"

It only takes a couple minutes to bring the decoction(the stuff you take out) to a boil. You need to use the heat from the decoction to raise you mash temperature. So you would dough in to reach your first rest complete that rest, then take out 1 pint per gallon in the mash pot. Boil that then add it back to reach your next rest temperature. Dan brown also has detailed mash instructions in his book "Designing Great Beers"

That's not true for me at all. For my last decoction, I had to remove 8.5 qts mash at 133 and boil it and that takes at least 20 minutes on my stove.

I have that book although I haven't read it yet. I'll go read that section.

One thing you want to make sure of is that you're resting the decoction in the upper 150's°F (like 158°F) for 10 minutes before boiling. Then you can boil it for at least 5 minutes (which is plenty). This timing accomplishes all the benefits you'd expect to get from the decoction. You may get more maltiness and a little darker color from boiling the decoction longer, but it's not neccessary.

Before pulling the decoction, let the mash rest for about 5 minutes, then pull the decoction. By the time your done heating/boiling the decoction, the main mash will have been at it's rest for plenty of time.

Let me see if I understand this. You remove the mash, and heat it, but stop at 158 for a little while. Then you boil it for 5 minutes. Is that right?

It also seems like I should be pulling the new decoction just 5 minutes after I've added the last decoction (for multi-step decoctions)? In other words, the second method I described? I think I understand, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Let me see if I understand this. You remove the mash, and heat it, but stop at 158 for a little while. Then you boil it for 5 minutes. Is that right?

Yes, except you can boil it longer if you like (but keep in mind your main mash rest time). 5 minutes is considered the minimum and is typically used for lighter colored beers.

It also seems like I should be pulling the new decoction just 5 minutes after I've added the last decoction (for multi-step decoctions)? In other words, the second method I described? I think I understand, I just want to make sure I get this right.

As long as your new mash temp has become constant and consistent throughout the mash (this is achieved by thorough stirring), you can pull the next decoction. 5 minutes is probably the minimum time before pulling the next decoction.

Back