low density..need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct_beer

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm brewing my first batch of Lager (first batch of any kind, actually). Really having fun. Unfortunately I put in two liters too much water and didn't realize this until after fermentation started (yesterday). My hydrometer reading is on the low end 1034. The wort is about 23C deg. Total desired capacity is 23 liters. I have just less than 25 via this error of adding too much water.

Is there anything I can do immediately or later on in the brewing process to get that level up to 1040-1050 level? Add sugar?

Many thanks for your generous advice. I have a lot to learn and look forward to doing this again. Great fun!

best,
dmc

You could add some sugar but this will produce a much drier tasting beer.

DME would be better but you need to hydrate (add more water) and pasteurize it before adding. You could do this by pulling a quart of your fermenting beer, dissolve in the DME, heat to 160 for a minute or so and then cool and add it back to the beer.

Personally I think you are more likely to do more harm than good messing with it.

Interesting, thanks for that tip. Just opening the lid and dropping in some sugar would not be possible? Could I add additional sugar at the bottling phase?

thanks a lot,
dmc

Interesting, thanks for that tip. Just opening the lid and dropping in some sugar would not be possible? Could I add additional sugar at the bottling phase?

thanks a lot,
dmc

If you open it and add sugar, you will definitely give the yeast more fermentables. But it won't give you better beer. I'd just leave it alone at this point and drink it as is when it's finished. It will taste good, and be very drinkable.

You will add a bit more sugar at bottling. That will give the yeast some food to carbonate your beer. Don't add more than you're supposed to, though- add what the recipe says to at bottling. Adding more than the recipe says will give you overcarbonated beer, and possibly bottle bombs.

Back