Yeast Washing Turnaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
I just washed some yeast for the first time last night by following the instructions I found here.

My four pint jars have not separated/settled out, and I am anxious to start a new batch. About how long until my yeast settles out so I can decant the extra water and pitch to a new wort/starter?

Thanks! :D

Thanks! I guess I just have to be patient!

I will keep a close eye on the pint jars and post back with my results.

you could probably just pitch 1 pint jar no starter there should be plenty of heathly yeast in there still

I'm really anxious to start so I might just do that! I can let it sit for a couple more hours before I'm ready to brew, and if no separation by then I'll just pitch a whole pint. :rockin: That should still leave me 3 more pints to watch and see how long the separation takes.

Thanks!

mine take about 24 hours in the fridge to separate out.

It has been just over 40 hours since I got my washed yeast into the fridge. It looks like the yeast is still only 2/3's of the way settled. There is a heavy layer flat on the bottom, but the whole bottom 1/3 of the pint jar is still very hazy.

One of the pint jars was used yesterday and appears to be fermenting nicely! Thanks again for all of the replies!

Back