Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked a small pork shoulder yesterday, mainly for the freezer for us to eat later. This morning smoked a 13 lb turkey that I brined yesterday & rubbed with a cajun/jerk rub that I concocted with spices in the cabinet. Both are delicious!

Yum!

Good news is, low on Christmas morning is supposed to be in upper 40s, which beats the heck out of cooking in the blizzard last Christmas.

Just put a pork butt on the smoker for my first overnight smoke. Hoping all goes well.

I just finished smoking some salmon with Jim beam smoke. Yesterday I finished smoking a pork tenderloin cut into small strips to make pork jerky using apple smoke.

I have a turkey to cook for new years day thinking about smoking for a couple hours then finishing in the deep fryer any thoughts?

Dont do it!! You will end up with turkey jerky! I tried it once..the legs shattered like glass when I went to pull it off..lmao..it was pizza for that thanksgiving..

Doing ribs at lunch today. Man, for all the pig farms around here pork sure isn't cheap. I can recall buying pork butt/shoulder for .99 a lbs a few years ago.

Got a request for pulled pork for the Packers vs. Lions game on Sunday, so I'll throw a pork butt on the WSM tomorrow night.

9 lbs butt injected and a rack of baby backs rubbed down for the smoker tomorrow. Planning on cooking some baked beans on the WSM halfway through to catch the drippings from the butt.

I'll be starting a pork butt tomorrow around 7am. I'll try and take before and after pics. I'll also be making my world famous whiskey bbq sauce.

I'm just throwing it out there, how's bout posting that whiskey be sauce recipe :fro:
So, after battling 30 degree temps all morning into the night, refilling the charcoal ring for the first time ever, after 14 hours my 9lbs pork butt has surrendered. 190 degrees with a 45 minute rest and pulled pork sammichs were enjoyed by everybody. The last 5 degrees were relentless but the results are one of my favorite smokes yet. The beans picked up the drippings from the shoulder and turned out superb as well.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just throwing it out there, how's bout posting that whiskey be sauce recipe :fro:
So, after battling 30 degree temps all morning into the night, refilling the charcoal ring for the first time ever, after 14 hours my 9lbs pork butt has surrendered. 190 degrees with a 45 minute rest and pulled pork sammichs were enjoyed by everybody. The last 5 degrees were relentless but the results are one of my favorite smokes yet. The beans picked up the drippings from the shoulder and turned out superb as well.

What is this dripping beans method you speak of?

Throw some of your favorite baked beans in a foil pan, fry up some thick cut bacon for extra meat, add to beans, throw on the bottom rack of the smoker no earlier than the stall, and allow it to catch the smoke and the drippings from the pork.
I took the time to skim a little of the fat which was on top the beans.

Just put a 10# picnic on the smoker an hour ago. Already salivating, anticipating some delicious pulled pork this evening. :rockin:

Throw some of your favorite baked beans in a foil pan, fry up some thick cut bacon for extra meat, add to beans, throw on the bottom rack of the smoker no earlier than the stall, and allow it to catch the smoke and the drippings from the pork.
I took the time to skim a little of the fat which was on top the beans.

Definitely trying that next time. Thanks!

Today's venture on the smoker included well rubbed whole chickens with flavor injection, and the standing rib section left after the NY Strip was cut off. If you haven't injected your items to be smoked with apple juice, try it, it really does work.

Hello. Hold off on the brining if the chicken came out juicy and delicious. At lease if you use the same brand. You may be buying prebrined birds

Here is the recipe that I use:

Homemade BBQ Sauce
2 c. ketchup
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. favorite whiskey
1/4 + 2 T. apple cider vinegar
3 T. molasses
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. dry dehydrated onions (or fresh)
1 T. paprika
2 t. salt
1 t. coarse ground black pepper
2 t. dry mustard
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. crushed red pepper or cayenne (or more if you like it spicy)

I saw your post on TVWBB. Good to see you here, too.
Thanks. :) Figured I'd cross post and of course ask my silly questions there where no one knows me. :D
Hello. Hold off on the brining if the chicken came out juicy and delicious. At lease if you use the same brand. You may be buying prebrined birds
They're not prebrined, but I will see how much water is added. That is a good point.

They can be sneaky in their prebrining. Look for words like 'enhanced', 'self basting' etc. Most pre frozen or semifrozen birds already have up to like an 8% of weight being a salt water solution (thats some expensive water). My mentality though is if it is juicy enough already, is brining really necessary? When I cut a leg off a chicken I have smoked and 2 Tbls of juice pours out I feel that it is juicy enough. Just my 2 cents.

One of my New Years resolutions is to learn to cook brisket. I am good w pork, but beef generally escapes me.

Anybody got a good simple recipe for a brisket flat?? Planning one for this weekend w a double brew day as well.

One of my New Years resolutions is to learn to cook brisket. I am good w pork, but beef generally escapes me.

Anybody got a good simple recipe for a brisket flat?? Planning one for this weekend w a double brew day as well.

Im in the same boat..I make killer pulled pork, and great turkeys and chickens..but I havent got brisket down just yet..

When I cook brisket I rub brown mustard all over it two days before cooking. Let brisket warm up to room temp. Add dry spice. Cook 225-235 for about 1 hr per lb. sometimes 1.25 he per lb until internal temp reaches about 180*. I'm no expert but have always get great compliments on my brisket..

Brisket is surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it. Ive tried smoking them hot and fast slow and low and in between. Had relative success with both. The last 3 I have kind of settled on a simple strategy that has worked for me.

I try and find a brisket that isnt too thin.(Hard to do these days) The flat should be 1.5- 2 inches thick.

I use a WSM so after I get my fire going I trim the fat cap and the fat between the point and the flat. I do try to trim off the silver skin off but the rest of the fat I leave on.
I spread mustard all over as the "glue" for the rub. I keep it simple Salt Pepper garlic paprika. I also enjoy Montreal steak seasoning. I use it pretty liberally.
Once this is done I check on the smoker to see if the temperature has stabilized. I really don't care where it end up anywhere between 275-325. Most of the time with decent weather my WSM seems to like 290-300 so I have learned not to fight it just go with whatever it wants.
I throw the brisket in an aluminum pan and let it go. I know it normally takes about 30 min a lb at 300 degrees after a few of these cooks so a 12-14lb brisket COULD be done in 6-7 hours.
About half way through the cook time I take a look at it to see if I like the color of the bark. If the bark has set and the color is good I cover it with tin foil.
About an hour before I think it is close to being finished I check to see if its "probe" done. You cant cook brisket by temp or time. People try and tell you to pull it at 190-195 and sometimes thats good and many times its not. You'll end up eat a leather shoe.
Only thing I use the temp for is once its at around 190 is when you begin to probe it with a thermometer or fork and once it goes into the flat "like butter" with no effort is when it done. Ive cooked brisket up over 205 before it relaxed.
Let it sit out on the counter for 10-15 minutes to stop the cooking process then wrap the entire thing in a tin foil and throw in a small cooler with towels to keep it insulated. If you dont have a cooler an oven works although you may need to turn it on to say 150 just to keep it from getting too cool.
Let it rest for as long as you can. At least and hour 2-3 is better.
Once ready to serve open it up and be careful there will be a cup or two of aus jus. Save this its great to add to bbq sauce or to brush back on the meat after cutting.
Make sure to cut it across the grain of the meat and only cut when you are going to eat if you cut it all it will dry out on you if left to sit out too long.

Writing that it seems like a long process but really its very simple and the best part is you arent cooking briskets for 10-15+ hours. You can get results that way too but I enjoy putting on the smoker in the morning and eating it that same day with Low and slow you are getting up at 1-2 in the morning or before you go to bed just to get ready for dinner the next day. I enjoy my sleep.
Im sure there are some spelling errors and funny grammar I did this on my phone so if you have any questions let me know.
A great site to check out is bbq-brethren dot com. It has helped me greatly.

I just put three full racks of baby back ribs into the Oster smoker roaster oven. Applewood smoke and heat at 225* for a couple hours, maybe 2.5, ought to do it.

Last time I did 225* for 3 hours and the bones pulled right out - too done. Tasty though!

Oh wow, I had no clue this section of the forum existed! I have been on a competitive team for the past 3 years and we are starting to do relatively decent!

This weekend I will be breaking in one of our new smokers a 22.5 WSM. Starting it off with a NC style butt, maybe some almonds, bacon wrapped chicken, and who knows what else I might find to throw on there!

Will be making more return trips to this section!

kgreesler pretty much nailed brisket above, I would second his bbq-brethren recommendation, I'm a member over there as well.

Don't over think BBQ!

And as Dan from 3Eyz says, "Don't F It Up"

Well, I picked up a flat. 6#. I will be rubbing it w mustard and Montreal steak seasoning. Picked up some branches from the local pecan orchard. I will mix up a spray botte to baste with in the am. I'll oust picks once done.

Thanks guys!!!

Latest posts

Back