Did i ruin my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck33

Reaction score
My fruit cellar were I keep my bottles to condition got down to about 40 degrees last night. Did it kill the yeast in my bottles?

No. If you used a smack pack or other refrigerated yeast remember that the yeast are stored at refrigerated temps and just go into suspension. Bring the temp back up and they'll be fine.

What is the preferred temperature. I know this is probably posted about 1000 times on here but I'm at work on my iPhone app and don't know how to search threads yet, this was my first batch and all the kit said was a cook dark place

Thanks guys, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know 75% of the stuff I know

Can't really kill 'em with cold, unless you freeze them solid. But too warm will.

To condition in the bottle, your cool dark fruit cellar will probably not help you. You might get carbonation, but it might be 4 months.

Get them to 70F for 3 weeks, then 'lager' them if you want.

Back