Commercial breweries and weirdness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

believeinsteve

Reaction score
A new phenomenon has shown itself.

I live close to two great brewpubs, one of them quite famous. I use to frequent them very often. For about a month though I noticed something has changed.

Every time i drink at one of these places I fell terribly hungover the next day. Might not seem to weird, but this will even happen after one beer, and nothing else the rest of the night. And without fail, I feel like im waking up next to Hunter S Thompson in Vegas. One of the breweries has stuff in bottles, and that does'nt affect me at all. And i can drink like a fish with other beers, and feel fine the next day.

I know it's not dirty lines, i can taste that quickly and easily. Is there some new product that commercial breweries are using? I dont know if it could be left over line cleaner, or some clarifier or what.

anyone else? anything similar? I hope im not just going crazy, I'm starting to miss my local brewery.

I have a pet theory that some breweries use a lot of MgSO4 (ahemSNcough), and that makes for parched, pounding waking times, but I haven't found that to apply to our locals.

it could be FAN, Free Amino Nitrogen, Yeast strain (some people are allergic to different yeasts), acetaldehyde, Sulfur or just a lack of hydration. it sounds like they may be either making that one beer with a different yeast or one of the other items.

We have a pub here in town that I used to love to frequent. They only serve draft micro brews. The last time I went, I felt so hungover, I get queezy just thinking about it. I felt bad for close to four full days. My buddy felt the same way. We split a 30 dollar tab, so it wasn't like we went overboard. Neither of us have been able to go back since. A third friend of ours had a similar experience on a seperate night and won't return either. We had chalked it up to dirty lines, but now I wonder.

@ 944play, breweries using magnesium sulfate? I have never heard of that. Have you heard of any other locals with similar complaints. Are you a member of the Sonoma beerocrats?

@ v2comp, I have thought of yeast strain before, And they definitely have a house flavor. However I do not feel these effects from their bottled beers, they are distributed throughout town, and I buy them often, because I cant go to the pub anymore

I was trying to be on the DL about the brewery, because I don’t want them to take even a miniscule hit on my part, I forgot my username said “Santa Rosa”.

I have since talked to two others with a similar problem. I used to wake up hungover all the time from RRBC, because I drank a lot of their delicious beer. But like I said, I have tried this with just one pint, then gone home, drank water, ate dinner, and no other alcohol the rest of the night, and it still happens. I have tried this several times and my wife has as well, both of us with similar results.

I just emailed the “hopfather”, and I know he will respond shortly, I will post it up here if people are interested

Are you a member of the Sonoma beerocrats?

Let's just say I don't think they have quite the same laissez-faire approach as Austin ZEALOTS.

Nothing wrong with epsom salt in small amounts. AFAIK it's the only salt used in brewing that contributes Mg which yeast need, but it does have diuretic and laxative properties.

Back