Pacman with Wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritmaster

Reaction score
Picked up some pacman while it was available and wanted to try it to brew a wheat beer. Any disadvantages (or advantages) with using pacman instead of a "wheat" yeast?

Im not a wheat beer expert, but the yeast in wheat beers is a vital part of the beer and is what really makes a wheat beer hazy. I feel as though pacman would clear too easily and would remove you from the category wheat beer. With that being said, you could do it and it would most likely make a good beer. It just your decision, but if i was brewing a wheat i would be sure to use a wheat yeast.

Chromados

I recently brewed up this one with nottingham and it is fantastic: I would think that pacman fermented at 60 would make this recipe just fine too. This beer is a hit with everybody, very smooth with nice spice/citrus notes.

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
zest from 2 limes, 2 grapefruit, 2 oranges, and 2 lemons added to end of boil
2tbsp crushed corriander added to primary fermenter

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 23.0 IBU Calories: 197 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.6 SRM

You should brew a simple 3 gallon extract batch (to save time) of wheat beer with the Pacman yeast. Read the tutorial on yeast washing (it's a lot easier than you think). Wash the yeast from the 3 gallon batch. You'll have more Pacman than you know what to do with. If you like the finished beer, brew a bigger batch of an All-grain wheat (if you are capable). Re-pitch your washed yeast. That way if the original beer turned out terrible, you only made 3 gallons and you still have a ton of Pacman yeast left over.

That's what I would do.

Back