Hello from Michigan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrean

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Adam and I'm a first-time homebrewer from southeastern Michigan.

About 2 years ago, my wife bought me one of those Bed, Bath, and Beyond "brew your own beer" kits. I was still going to graduate school and working full-time back then, so free time for hobbies was scarce. I got to the fermentation stage and then got really busy with work and school. Needless to say, the beer was wrecked after I left it in the bladder fermenter for over 3 months!

I promised myself that I would try my hand at homebrewing again after I graduated. It's been a full year since I finished school, and I'm finally homebrewing for real! My wife talked me into getting some "real" equipment, so I went to my local homebrew supply and bought enough equipment to do 5-gallon two-stage fermentation batches.

I tried out my first recipe last night, a light American ale. I found an American Pale Ale recipe on beerrecipes.org and thought it sounded easy enough for my first try. I did make a few changes to the original, and here's the basics for what I used:
- 6 lbs Cooper's Light liquid extract
- 1 lb crystal malt (lov 20) steeped before boil
- 3/4 oz Casacde hops @ 5 minutes
- 1/2 oz Cascade hops @ 30 minutes
- 1/2 oz Hallertau @ 55 min (in a sock)
- Wyeast California V Ale liquid yeast

I did learn a few lessons tonight. I'm hoping that someone can offer some insight that might make things easier for me next time around:

- Yeast slurry; I had taken the liquid yeast and mixed it in a sterilized jar with 1 cup wort @ 5 minutes boil and 1 cup sterilized water. Does it matter if the jar is covered or open to air?

- Primary fermentation in a 6.5-gallon carboy. It wasn't easy to shake the carboy nor remove liquid for specific gravity measurements once I dumped in the sterilized water, wort, and yeast slurry. Is it better to do the primary fermentation in a bucket? Can I prep the solution in the bucket, then transfer it to the carboy?

I'm sure I'll learn a lot more once I taste the final product, and learn even more as I do more batches. I'm looking forward to discussing homebrewing with all of you, and learning from the great wealth of experience here!

Greetings from a fellow Michibrewer! Welcome to the insanity!

Your carboy will be just fine as a fermenter....billions of gallons of homebrew have been made in them.

Don't sweat the details on your very first brew.....

I too welcome you! alot of us from Michigan on here :)

i'm a little confused by this statment
astrean said:

- Yeast slurry; I had taken the liquid yeast and mixed it in a sterilized jar with 1 cup wort @ 5 minutes boil and 1 cup sterilized water. Does it matter if the jar is covered or open to air?

you ment that you cooled the wart after you boiled it right?

as for covering your yeast starter, i have seen it both ways, some say just put tinfoil over top, others say airlock.

Otherwise a wine theif or a turkey baster will make it much easier to get a sample out of a carboy :)

Jim Karr said:
Greetings from a fellow Michibrewer! Welcome to the insanity!

Your carboy will be just fine as a fermenter....billions of gallons of homebrew have been made in them.

Don't sweat the details on your very first brew.....

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate the input on the carboy. It was just a bit cumbersome to combine all the ingredients for the primary fermentation in the carboy. That, and taking the SG sample. I wound up using the racking tube to siphon out enough to take my reading.

Dycokac said:
I too welcome you! alot of us from Michigan on here :)

i'm a little confused by this statment

you ment that you cooled the wart after you boiled it right?

Yeah, I probably should have included that! I cooled the wort down to 70 deg prior to adding the yeast

as for covering your yeast starter, i have seen it both ways, some say just put tinfoil over top, others say airlock.

Otherwise a wine theif or a turkey baster will make it much easier to get a sample out of a carboy :)

Thanks a lot for the input! Guess I was a little nervous about screwing up my first batch.

Welcome from Ann Arbor. There are many SE Michigan brewers here, plus from the West Side, the UP, and elsewhere.

Good luck w/ the brewing.

Hi from another Tree Town dweller. There are indeed quite a few of us here! Whereabouts are you?

Welcome!
I lived in Livonia for years; attended St Mike's and Franklin HS.

Where did you get your supplies?

I will stand up for the Southwest Side of the state. Wish I was living in the UP though.:mug:

Welcome from Grand Ledge, MI

The First is the fun and then it gets addictive.

Primary: Samuel Adams Boston Ale Clone
Primary: Yoopers Fat Tire Clone
Secondary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Bavarian Lager, APA, Hard Cider
Drinking: APA
On Deck: Double Chocolate Stout

Back