bottle sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I've asked this on a different thread but didn't get a lot of response. I read, I think in How to Brew, that you can sanitize your bottles using the hot water through a dish washing cycle. I used this today on a batch that I bottled. Just wanted some feed back if this is a safe way to do it. Also My recipe said boil the priming sugar in a pint of water, however it doesn't give a time frame what do you guys recommend for that?

I'm a noob myself. From what I've read and been told. It's totally safe as legit as long as you don't use soap and or a rinse agent. It's the heat from the steam in the dry cycle that does the sanitizing.

I think the standard is boiling for 10 minutes.

Ok I don't think I boiled for ten minutes probably just for a minute or so, will this cause major issues?

I am a noob but I don't trust the bottlles to not get infectected before i use them. what i did in my first batch was completely fill them with star san solution and right before i bottled each bottle poured it into my now empty fermentation bucket and bottled immediately

I second the star san in the bottle. It is the best way to make sure it is sanatized. I half fill the sink and rins the bottles through threr before I put them on the drying rack.

I dont boil the sugar for more than 2 minutes. The only reason to boil is to disolve the sugar. Just make sure the sugar water is mixed well in the bottle bucket before bottling. Someone (i think revy) wrote a great post on what to do on bottle day. search it and read it.

I agree the star san is the best option, but I am asking about the dish washer method. Is this also a safe way to bottle. Have any of you used this method with success or failure?

I always used the dishwasher to sanitize when I used to bottle. Also I would just bring the sugar water to a boil and then remove from heat right away.

I used to wash them in the dishwasher...takes forever, and I would get food crud stuck in the bottles. At that point I would rinse with star san and let bottles drain. After about 25 gallons of bottling, I got a keg set up...screw bottling. Now the only time I bottle is when I fill from a keg for a competition or for friends and I just rinse the bottle out with hot water and soak the bottle in star san with absolutely no problems. You don't stick your fermenter or bottling bucket in the dishwasher first...do you???

Why water your brew down with a pint of water when you could boil the sugar in a pint of the beer? I bring to a boil and call it good. You really are just dissolving the sugar.

that makes sense on the using beer. no I didn't stick the fermenter or bottling bucket in just the bottles

I use iodine it was just a little easier to throw all the bottles in the dishwasher and not have to do it each by hand then I just pulled them straight from the dishwasher

I use iodine for the fermenter, I just thought it would be easier to throw them all in the dishwasher.

Well I used to use the dishwasher at my old apartment to run a cycle through with bottles and then bottle after it is finished. However I would run into the occasional gusher in every batch or a solitary bad tasting beer from a batch. Turns out that my dishwasher was depositing food particles into the bottles and causing this. Now I use the vinator and sanitize each bottle with starsan right before filling. And right after I drink a beer I rinse the bottle out with hot tap water and dry it. I will do an oxyclean soak on bottles that sit around for a while however.

wash the bottles by hand and then use star san the heat in the dishwasher will take the temper out of the glass. they eventually start to breakoff at the neck when capping and opening.cut myself twice while opening

I did have one neck break today while bottling so again that makes sense I was just wondering for this one time. So thanks kirbster, I realize I might get a few of these bottles that won't work out but sounds like for the most part I should be fine. next time I'll buy the vinator

Back