Lithuanian beer Svyturys clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crakunas

Reaction score
My whole family loves Svyrurys. But when we buy it here in the US, it is always bad. I think it has a super low amount of hops, so trans-atlantic transport probably isn't the best.

Anyway, I am putting together a recipe for it, but I thought I would check and see if anyone else has made it. I think it's a vienna lager, but with a Lithuanian twist.

Do you know which beer specifically? Looks like they make about a dozen different ones.

I've never heard about them before now, but maybe somebody else has. Your best bet until then would be to check out the recipes section. If the beer you're thinking of is amber to dark amber in color, it may just be a vienna lager or marzen, so check out those recipes. If it's golden in color, I'd recommend the Dortmunder Export recipes as a starting point. For a "Lithuanian twist" you could try using a Saaz-type hop.

Off the top of my head, you could try something in the 1.050 to 1.055 OG range. 76% continental pilsner malt, 20% munich or vienna malt (or some mix of the two), 2% melanoidin malt, and 2% acidulated malt (assuming your water is relatively low alkalinity). Do a single infusion mash around 152 degrees F, or use a Hochkurz step mash. I like 10 minutes at 131 F, 30 minutes at 145 F, and 45 minutes at 160 F. If you're feeling really adventurous and want to try brewing traditionally, try a Hochkurz decoction mash.

Try 20 to 25 IBUs of Saaz at 60 minutes, and maybe another 0.25 to 0.5 oz at 15 minutes and another 0.25 to .5 oz at 5 minutes, depending on how much hop flavor and aroma you like (assuming a 5 gallon batch).

Any clean lager yeast will do (such as W34/70) , as long as you:

1. Pitch enough cells. I pitch around 25 million cells per ml of wort for my 1.050ish beers.
2. Aerate well. I do 90 seconds of pure O2 through a 0.5 micron stone, but several minutes of vigorously shaking the fermenter works well too.
3. Keep the fermentation temperature under control. Pitch at 48 degrees, ferment at 50 degrees for 10 to 14 days and you should have no problems with diacetyl.

All that said, I think this thread should probably be moved by a moderator to a more appropriate sub-forum, rather than the bock recipes database.

I do think it's a Vienna lager. Their flagship beer is golden in color - not dark at all.

But, oh....the taste!

Back