My poor poor freezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chispas

Reaction score
Well, over the last few months I've been gathering all the stuff to put together a fermentation freezer. Picked up a freezer on craigslist, love controller tss2 (dual stage) as well as a fermwrap heater pad. I got the fridge all prepped and ready to the point where all there was left to do was the wiring.

I took the thermostat off in the fridge, and disconnected the wires, red and white. In my power cable, white is neutral and black is hot. So I assumed the white from the cable would hook up the white in the freezer. I hooked these wires up and plugged it in, loud pop and flash. :( So it turns out the white wire in the freezer was hot. I hooked up it the other way, and the compressor turned on.

I thought everything was fine, so I just wired up the freezer, love controller, and heat pad. The heat pad works great, turns on when the temp gets to cold. When it gets too warm, the controller clicks but the freezer doesn't turn on. I unhooked everything, wired it again like I did when the compressor turned on, but this time nothing.

Is the freezer toast? Is it beyond salvation? What have I done... Thanks.

My theory is that you let the magic smoke out and that is what makes everything work. Anytime you let the magic smoke out, stuff stops working.

OK, no more posting. it is interfereing with my beer !

Hang in there and somebody will answer your question. My suggestion is that you disconnect everything and just wire the freezer normally. See if it cools then. If not, then you might have some issues.

Latest posts

Back