How long does brew day take you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 4 hours, maybe 5 if I have the time. This is to do a partial grain and partial boil on a propane burner. Also it take longer if it's colder out (10f)ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

5-6 hours for a 10 gallon batch, depending on the gravity. The higher the gravity the longer the mash and the boil. That's 6 hours to decide what to brew, heat the water, brew the beer and do the cleanup.

6 hours and more ,I think it should depend of the equipment and beer. I have braumeister 20 lt as equipment and if I brew a beer with an OG more then 1.065 I need to use more grain ,double the mash and then I have to add about 2 hours for 20 liter of finish beer. Not less then 8 hours included of cleaning the whole equipements.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Home Brew

I do biab and I'm consistently at 6 hours. That includes setup and cleanup. I usually do a 90 min mash and a 90 minute boil. I also heat a 2g batch of water to rinse equipment before starting.

Right now I use an immersion cooler, use a pump and circulate during the mash/boil/chilling and use it to pump into the fermenter. I would love to get it down to 4hrs, and would love to get rid of the chiller and pump, which would save a ton of setup and cleanup. Just can't do it. It's too cool.

Any chance one of you 4/5 hour non BIAB guys would want to detail your process along with how long each step takes?

I have been working on my process and I cannot get it under 6 hours. Heating the water and lautering are especially lengthy for me...

I normally heat all of the water I will need at once. I transfer the mash volume to the mash tun(cooler) when it hits the appropriate temp. As the grains are mashing, the remaining water keeps getting heated until it reaches sparge temp(168). Then I transfer the sparge water to my HLT(another cooler). The gallon or two that are left in the kettle continue to be heated until boiling for the mashout.

Would it be better to get a second burner and heat up smaller volumes of water instead of heating it all up at once?

How long does lautering take everyone else?

Any chance one of you 4/5 hour non BIAB guys would want to detail your process along with how long each step takes?

I have been working on my process and I cannot get it under 6 hours. Heating the water and lautering are especially lengthy for me...

I normally heat all of the water I will need at once. I transfer the mash volume to the mash tun(cooler) when it hits the appropriate temp. As the grains are mashing, the remaining water keeps getting heated until it reaches sparge temp(168). Then I transfer the sparge water to my HLT(another cooler). The gallon or two that are left in the kettle continue to be heated until boiling for the mashout.

Would it be better to get a second burner and heat up smaller volumes of water instead of heating it all up at once?

How long does lautering take everyone else?

I missed poptart's breakdown of times and after some browsing on here I now know that I can lauter with the valve fully open after vorlauf for batch sparging. I was lautering super slow as you do with fly sparging. That should save me about an hour. I still have questions about getting a second burner and heating up smaller volumes of water instead of heating up all the water at once.

I heat up mash and sparge water separately. I think it would be more efficient that way because then the sparge water doesn't cool off while waiting 60 minutes for the mash.

I heat up mash then mash in the you have an entire hour to heat the sparge water. It takes less time to heat just the mash water than it does to heat both. Should save you 20mins

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

I use 2 10 gallon HD coolers and a 15 gallon brew pot. I heat up all my water in the brew pot at once plus 2 gallons in my largest cook pot which I pour into the MT and HLT to warm them up as the brew pot comes to mash temp. When it hits temp I mash in front of the stove while the pot is still heating. I move the MT in front of my Brewing storage shelf on a chair. It's comical but it works. With mash going I wait until the temp of the water gets a couple degrees above sparge temp and transfer to HLT and move it to the top of the shelf unit. Now with the brew pot empty it goes in front of the chair to wait for the sweet wort. Yeah I have to lift it back to the stove but until I get a proper brew rack... Also I have no wife to object!!! Having a sequence and cleaning as you go got my brew day down to just under 5 hours. I'll set it up and post a pic minus hoses and leveling towels etc.

BrewR.jpg

I can usually be done in about six, but it doesn't always work out that way. Something like a 9 hour brewday this weekend, but that included a triple decoction and a 2 hour boil.

I do biab and I'm consistently at 6 hours. That includes setup and cleanup. I usually do a 90 min mash and a 90 minute boil. I also heat a 2g batch of water to rinse equipment before starting.

Right now I use an immersion cooler, use a pump and circulate during the mash/boil/chilling and use it to pump into the fermenter. I would love to get it down to 4hrs, and would love to get rid of the chiller and pump, which would save a ton of setup and cleanup. Just can't do it. It's too cool.

Why the 90min mash and boil? I get you should boil for 90min if using a lot of pils malt, but if not using a lot of pils... then why? Seems like you're adding an extra hour to your brew day for no reason. Conversion usually happens in well under an hour even though 60min is a standard mash time. 90min for every beer you brew seems overkill. Same for the boil.

Back